Reading test - new to this!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jbsmum

Reading test - new to this!

Post by jbsmum »

Hi everyone,

We are just starting on the 11+ practice for entry to Reading Boys in 2014. I have various practice papers but I wanted to know if anyone has used online practice tests &/or CDs, especially for English & VR (his weaker subjects). Feeling a bit lost in how to plan what to do/when - & can't be too much as he won't tolerate it! I thought the online stuff might provide some variety? His weakness in the VR seems to be vocab, what have people done to help improve this with their children? I feel he should stand a good chance as his SATs were good but also seems that most people have tutors which isn't an option for us.

Thanks
Bewildered

Re: Reading test - new to this!

Post by Bewildered »

Welcome to the forum jbsmum :D

There's lots of helpful people here, ready to answer questions but also a good way to learn is to go through the Stickies at the top of the different forum sections and to also read through old posts, that may be of interest/relevance.
People vary in their approach here; DIYing or tutoring or perhaps some of both.

The online practise CD's/papers are good. Giving practise in specific areas in all 4 disciplines for RGS, to help strengthen these areas, and also they have full practise papers. There is a vocab builder CD, and many books for vocab building help. Playing word games such as scrabble at home, and lots of reading also helps improve this area.
You will also find many 'How to' Technique books, which are great for any parent going the DIY route.

HTH

:D

BW
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now