Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sonia

Applying For Herschel Grammar School

Post by Sonia »

Hi All,

We are in High Wycombe Bucks.

Can we apply for Herschel Grammar School?

As I am confused by

10 The ‘area’ for Herschel is defined with a parental or legal guardian address in the following districts: Slough; Burnham; Farnham Common; Farnham Royal; Windsor; Iver; Iver Heath; Datchet; Colnbrook.

Regards

Sonia
Reading Mum

Re: Applying For Herschel Grammar School

Post by Reading Mum »

Which bit of that is confusing?
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

They have mentioned the catchment areas and Bucks is not included.

Want to clarify , the sudents from Bucks are eligible to apply in Herschel Grammar.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Burnham, Farnham Common, Iver etc are in Bucks but are very close to Slough so presumably are in catchment?
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

Can I ask why you would want to put Herschel if you are in High Wycombe?
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Just to give DD a second option.

If she is unable to score 121 or more she will not be eligible for any bucks county grammar school.

Drummer what you recommend/suggest us?

Regards

Sonia
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Sonia - we did this also for a second option - though DD went on to pass the Bucks and not pass the Berks (too little practice on NVR I think! We took the foot off the pedal after the Bucks - and had really done very little on NVR as not needed in Bucks).

Herschel take the top so many on score alone - and then fills up with local kids who have passed - for which youhave to be very close - we are in Burnham / Taplow - and friends from round the corner who did pass but not with a high score were too far away to get a place (and we are about 1.5miles I would guess - possibly less).

In retrospect it was really not worth the stress an OOA application to the Slough system caused - extra exams, extra pressure etc - however you have to make your own choices. I am really not sure how you would get a child from High Wycombe to Herschel though - we looked at the opposite journey (and there are buses from Maidenhead to Wycombe High) and decided it was a trip too far!! With a DD now in Y8 at BHS I would certainly recommend not making the journey too long - they do get a lot of homework - and also its nice to have friends not too far away - especially as they get older!

All the best in whatever you decide. If you are interested in Herschel you must go and visit - whilst we liked it, it is very different to most of the Bucks Grammar schools.

Booklady
drummer

Post by drummer »

Hi Sonia, sorry, it didn't occur to me that you would be thinking of a '2nd option' from that distance. Are your upper school options very poor??