St Bernard vs Slough Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mum@2

St Bernard vs Slough Grammar

Post by Mum@2 »

Any views please....we are not catholic so DS will be one of other faiths in St Bernards which seems to be increasing gradually over the years. I myself went to a faith school too and found the discipline to be exemplary. All advises are welcome... Anyone got kids in Slough Grammar? how're they finding it??
Apu1923

Re: St Bernard vs Slough Grammar

Post by Apu1923 »

I have not been to a faith school, but have always had the impression that discipline is much better there. However I was not aware that non-faith children could get in St.Bernards and consequently did not sent in their supplementary form. Does that mean that I cannot place them on the CAF?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Apu1923 wrote:I have not been to a faith school, but have always had the impression that discipline is much better there. However I was not aware that non-faith children could get in St.Bernards and consequently did not sent in their supplementary form. Does that mean that I cannot place them on the CAF?
If your DC took Slough test, then you can also put St. Bernard's as one of your peference, as this school is also part of Slough consortium.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Apu1923

Post by Apu1923 »

Thanks Tiffinboys.
We were not aware that we could apply as we are not Catholic (or Christian), so have missed the supplementary form A-B that had to be sent by 13th July. Do you think it is worth putting in CAF. I have been looking at other consortium school websites for SIF but didn't find one. Am I right in assuming the 11+ registration form was the SIF? Also do we have to put the schools in the same preference order in CAF as in registration form (I don't remember the exact order).
Another question does Herschel have catchment? Thanks in advance for replies and advice.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If you have space on your CAF, no harm in putting St. Bernard as a preference.

For late SIF, it is better to speak to the school directly. As you are not Catholic, your DC would have low priority any way. School would best advise you, but if I were you and wanted St. Bernard, I would put it on my CAF anyway. If your DC meets score requirements and there are spaces after higher priority children (Catholics) have been accomodated, not submitting SIF is not a good enough reason not to consider your DC on merit.

As you may have read, even not taking the entrance test is NOT good enough reason for Schools to reject any application out of hand. Atleast, this is what is being told to us by Schools taking the late tests.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

St Bernard's is a catholic school and still has only a small minority of children from other faiths in the school. My suggestion would be that if you want a catholic education or your child then put it down, if not I would stick with slough grammar