Kendrick, or not?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Langtreemum

Kendrick, or not?

Post by Langtreemum »

My daughter scored 116.5 in the Kendrick test and is in the designated area, so i guess she is likely to be offered a place if she wants one. However, we're really not sure. We live in Goring and our alternative is a comprehensive, Langtree. It's a small, welcoming, Ofsted 'outstanding', academically successful village school. She'd be among the brightest there and get the attention and confidence that goes with it - though they have a significant cluster who get mostly A* so she wouldn't be alone. It would be a much easier journey and a shorter day. Her close friends are all going and she wants to go too.

Is the academically elite atmosphere of the Kendrick really worth it? Might she lose confidence? Be exhausted by the earlier start?

Persuade me!

And given I am almost persuaded, how do I tackle the harder job of persuading her and avoiding hand to hand combat over this?
hermanmunster

Re: Kendrick, or not?

Post by hermanmunster »

if you are equally content with schools then best way to avoid grief with DD is to let her go to the one she prefers... any other decision could come back to bite you in the future ...
Langtreemum

Post by Langtreemum »

Actually Herman, my feeling is the other way round. I fear that if we take the 'easy' option of the comprehensive, then in years to come she may turn round and say 'why didn't you make me go to the grammar school - I was only 10, of course I wanted to stay with my friends, it doesn't mean I really knew what was best for me'

If she really hates Kendrick after a year we could probably switch. The other way round would be harder.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Hi Langtreemum,

We are in the same boat with our DD who also performed well in the tests. It seems she would prefer the local comp as all her friends will be going there and she will be more comfortable. As parents, we know that the Comp will loook after her and allow her to work to her ability as they too have outstanding rating and results.

We've always said we won't let one days performance (Kendrick test day!) be the be all and end all of our school choice. There will be so many girls who will miss out on a place due to a few marks because of their performance on the day, are they not bright? are they not of grammar school capability? of course they are, they'll do well when they join their respective secondary schools. In the back of my mind is a story I heard about an child being unhappy at Kendrick last year, not doing so well and leaving, subsequently the In-year test was very popular and the place ended up going to a grammar school student from another LEA!

I'm a firm believer that a child will do well wherever they study, sometimes parental guidance is more important than the actual rating of the school. I'd also want my child to be happy so we've made the decision to go with what our DD feel's best. I'm confident she'll be happy and will perform well at the local Comp. She'll be able to join in clubs, extra activities and be comfortable with travel timings, homework deadlines etc .

I'd suggest listening to your daughter. Ultimately you'll know if they are making the right decision and go for it.....Good luck in the future!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I quite agree with Herman, & sonasona. :D

As you have the choice of 2 equally outstanding schools I would go with the one that your DD prefers.
If she is happy she will succeed. She will have local friends, a comfortable journey and excellent schooling, can't go wrong!

Good Luck with your choice.

:D

BW
RG7mum

Post by RG7mum »

Hi Langtree Mum,

Well done to your DD and how lovely to have a fantastic catchment comprehensive as an alternative - but what a dilemma!

I thought I would give the perspective of a Kendrick mum. Feeling a little discouraged by my DD's primary school head when I sought guidance on whether I should even consider Kendrick ["No one has ever got in from this school"], I almost didn't go to the Open Evening. DH made me go and I loved it! The girls seemed so happy and confident in themselves - I wanted a bit of that for my DD. DD loved the school too when she visited in Y6, however DH preferred our number 2 choice, a non-catchment comp.

How did you and your DD feel when you visited? Did you feel it was the right school for your DD, or did you get a better feeling about your comp ?

Agree with Sonasona - both DH and I believed DD would do well wherever she went as long as she was happy. She was lacking in confidence at primary school but has blossomed at Kendrick and made some lovely new friends. The focus isn't all about academics, it's about the whole person and what they contribute to school life and the outside community. I'm always proud to answer when people ask where my daughter goes to school and so is she.

Once we'd had an insight into grammar school life we desperately wanted our son to have the same opportunity; he's recently taken the Reading exam and we're hopeful of a place, although again, we know he would do well at the local comp. with his friends.

Suggestions for persuading your daughter:

Focus on what she liked about Kendrick. For my DD the prospect of no disruptive boys was very appealing!
Your DD will have a much wider circle or indeed different circle by the time she finishes Y7 so that could be another angle - do you have friends with older children or Kendrick girls she could talk to - to tell her this is genuinely true :D

Very best of luck with your decision!
bahuguna

Post by bahuguna »

Hi

My son went for reading boys and missed by few points to apply . The cut off is 336 and he got 335.64. I was gutted yesterday and even cried but then I thought that may be it wasn't his day as he fractured his leg 3 weeks before the exam and he had to be operated. He is a bright child and I am sure he will shine wherever he goes. It was so nice to read your post because I was thinking on the same line but wanted to hear it from someone else. I feel relieved and relaxed now. Thank you so much for your inspiring post. Really appreciate all those encouraging thoughts.
Good luck to your brilliant daughters at their new school
Thanks
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I can understand your dilemna - we need to really think about all this now that we have a realistic chnace of a place. DD is very happy at her girls only Indie. They have looked after her well but we only entered the indie world as I was unimpressed with her local primary. I am not committed to the idea of paying for the sake of it, nor am I rich. On the other hand I also don't want to make the decision based on money - I would hate to think it came down to that. I know we are very lucky to be even considering the choice but its still hard. We are not going to rush into anything.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Langtreemum wrote:My daughter scored 116.5 in the Kendrick test and is in the designated area, so i guess she is likely to be offered a place if she wants one. However, we're really not sure. We live in Goring and our alternative is a comprehensive, Langtree. It's a small, welcoming, Ofsted 'outstanding', academically successful village school. She'd be among the brightest there and get the attention and confidence that goes with it - though they have a significant cluster who get mostly A* so she wouldn't be alone. It would be a much easier journey and a shorter day. Her close friends are all going and she wants to go too.

Is the academically elite atmosphere of the Kendrick really worth it? Might she lose confidence? Be exhausted by the earlier start?

Persuade me!

And given I am almost persuaded, how do I tackle the harder job of persuading her and avoiding hand to hand combat over this?
In terms of jurney/commuting: I have no suggestions but you decide, dont even discuss with ur dd. Remember children can adjust for anything.

In terms of friends: I dont see an issue with friends, she will be making new friends. She can be still be meeting local frends during evenings/weekends so altogether she will have more friends

Is the academically elite atmosphere of the Kendrick really worth it?: It is worth certainly but if you are looking for it again

Confidence: You need to prepare her right now saying, you will be going to a school where everyone is like you so you may not be in the top 5 but u may be in top 20 or 30 and still it does not mean u are any less it is just that everyone is competitive there hence positions change.

Be exhausted: Do you mean with lot of homework etc ? If child is either hard working or talented or intelligent or clever or something ... then they will cope up, u know by now if she will cope up or not . She may take some time to adjust that is fine

Not everyone who comes to these top grammars are toppers, but (my guess) 30% of them are there becaz they have been preparing for 2 years with tutions etc

I dont mind my child to be in the middle or bottom of the class of more able than being in the top of the class of mixed able

Good luck
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

bahuguna wrote:Hi

My son went for reading boys and missed by few points to apply . The cut off is 336 and he got 335.64. I was gutted yesterday and even cried but then I thought that may be it wasn't his day as he fractured his leg 3 weeks before the exam and he had to be operated. He is a bright child and I am sure he will shine wherever he goes. It was so nice to read your post because I was thinking on the same line but wanted to hear it from someone else. I feel relieved and relaxed now. Thank you so much for your inspiring post. Really appreciate all those encouraging thoughts.
Good luck to your brilliant daughters at their new school
Thanks
In view of the circumstances, perhaps you may like to put Reading as your top preference in CAF and appeal after the allocations are made. Good luck.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now