Reading School (Reading Boys) 2012 Entrance Test Results for

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reading2012

Re: Reading School (Reading Boys) 2012 Entrance Test Results

Post by reading2012 »

Hi,

Went home during lunch break to check the post.
Was rewarded.
My son has 388.12(may born)

Do I take that as a certain yes for an offer.
aman

Post by aman »

Fantastic. Well Done to your DS. Highest score I have come across.
reading2012 wrote:Hi,

Went home during lunch break to check the post.
Was rewarded.
My son has 388.12(may born)

Do I take that as a certain yes for an offer.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Well, we think you'd get a place. But no one apart from the council can say for certain!

Cricketdad, there are numbers earlier in this thread.

GB85, you can't find out the rank. If you're above 336, apply (if you want to), and on 1st March you'll either get offered a place or can find out where you are on the waiting list.
Phoenix09

Post by Phoenix09 »

cestlavie wrote:cricketdad - you should apply as you are above the cutoff. But based on historical data, you may well end up on the waiting list - see my earlier post. DS1 was ranked 124 two years ago with a slightly higher score (and there were many less applicants) so you'll probably be ranked lower than that.

My reading of the letter is that if you are below 336, they won't offer you a place even if there is space: "Places will not be offered to those candidates who scored a mean standardised total score (including age weighting) below 336". So there is really no point in applying.
Thankyou for your advice! It certainly helped cool down my nerves and think straight.
:)

All the best to all those still waiting for their results and a BIG congrats to all those who cleared.

Cheers!
ammaa

Post by ammaa »

Our son born sept2002 got 343.08.Living out of catchment area.Decided and started preprations in mid July this year.We were thinking to move after seeing the results.Any idea ?Please help us.It seems blind folded.
Kendrick mum

Post by Kendrick mum »

I was thinking that probably over 350 and you stand a good chance of a place, I remember reading somewhere 343 being a score that resulted in a place. Congrats and well done to all ds and dp 's for all their hardwork. Looks like getting the result is not possibly the relief it should be. Come on GreatReading Dad , I was hoping for one of your tables :D
still waiting for the postie no more nails, will be starting on sofa
Kendrick mum
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

So is your son already in Y6?

I can't tell from Reading School's admission arrangements whether there is come cut-off date by which you have to be in the deignated area. I think you need to phone the school or the LA to find out.
reading 1234

Post by reading 1234 »

Our son born sept2002 got 343.08.Living out of catchment area.Decided and started preprations in mid July this year.We were thinking to move after seeing the results.Any idea ?Please help us.It seems blind folded.

sept 2002.Did your ds do his exams a year early.
congratulations
reading 1234

Post by reading 1234 »

So is your son already in Y6?

I can't tell from Reading School's admission arrangements whether there is come cut-off date by which you have to be in the deignated area. I think you need to phone the school or the LA to find out.

its on the reading boys school website under 11 plus faq
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

cestlavie
Thanks , do we have any input on at what score was the place offered last year or previous year.
do they apply catchment distance as well , actually the score is 337.98 :).
He is actually eligible for Tiffin,Wallington grammer,Slough as well he really wants to get into Reading School which was always his first choice.
His tiffin score is 4 marks above the cuttoff , Slough 5 marks above cuttoff, wallington grammer they have not given any score but have listed he is eligible.

I hope with all this hard work he is offered place in grammer school, he has really worked hard and is also doing really well in his school and is at Level5 and his teached thinks would be reaching Level6 atleast in maths.

Suggestion welcome to put preference on CAF form
I just looked it up, DS1 scored 338.48 two years ago and he didn't get a place. I know the person 3 above him in the rank was eventually offered a place but in January the following year (i.e. into year 7). It seems to be pretty stable around this level. Distance within catchment isn't considered unless there is a tie, which with a rank to 2 dp I think is unlikely to happen. If you're out of catchment then I doubt there will be any chance at all.

But it sounds as though you have quite a few options so I'd suggest you base your decision on where you want him to go.