Kendrick, or not?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Langtreemum

Re: Kendrick, or not?

Post by Langtreemum »

Thank you for everyone's replies so far. They are helpful - even if it is mainly be seeing what my own gut responses to other peoples' points are.

Harrow, what did you mean by 'Not everyone who comes to these top grammars are toppers, but ...'

I went to a mediocre comprehensive myself. Not as good as Langtree. I did well - went to Oxbridge etc. and I'm not sure I could have done 'better' at a selective school, but I think I would have had a nicer time of it. On the other hand, my daughter isn't me, which makes it so hard...

My husband's position is solidifying in the direction of Kendrick and my daughter's in the direction of Langtree. And my mother (not that it is anything to do with her) is making it very clear that she is passionately opposed to grammars on principle. Ho hum.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Langtreemum wrote:Thank you for everyone's replies so far. They are helpful - even if it is mainly be seeing what my own gut responses to other peoples' points are.

Harrow, what did you mean by 'Not everyone who comes to these top grammars are toppers, but ...'

I went to a mediocre comprehensive myself. Not as good as Langtree. I did well - went to Oxbridge etc. and I'm not sure I could have done 'better' at a selective school, but I think I would have had a nicer time of it. On the other hand, my daughter isn't me, which makes it so hard...

My husband's position is solidifying in the direction of Kendrick and my daughter's in the direction of Langtree. And my mother (not that it is anything to do with her) is making it very clear that she is passionately opposed to grammars on principle. Ho hum.
Well done for graduating at Oxbridge, being a oxbridge pass out, why are you thinking about ur dd to send to kendrick or not. If ur dd is in kendrick then certainly there will be more chances of becoming or being a potential oxbridge candidate, if not oxbridge but to one of the best uni. U went to oxbridge from a comp school, does not mean that everyone can do but only certain people like you can do. Times have changed, competition is different, why to take a risk.

My opinions may not match to many parents here but they are just my opinions. U know ur dc well and good luck with the decision whatever u take
Langtreemum

Post by Langtreemum »

Harrow - at the risk of turning this into a debate which I don't really want to have I will respond to your (rhetorical?) question:

It is undoubtedly true that a higher proportion of pupils go to Oxbridge from Kendrick than from Langtree (or, most likely, from any genuine comprehensive school). However, I am not aware of any evidence that clearly shows that the same, able child, with the same, supportive parents, would be more likely to go to Oxbridge from a grammar school than from an excellent comprehensive school.

And I'm not just an Oxbridge 'pass out' but an Oxford 'don' who also makes admissions decisions. Sadly, the knowledge and experience that comes with that position does not seem to help me much in deciding which secondary school is right for my own daughter!
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Langtreemum wrote:Harrow - at the risk of turning this into a debate which I don't really want to have I will respond to your (rhetorical?) question:

It is undoubtedly true that a higher proportion of pupils go to Oxbridge from Kendrick than from Langtree (or, most likely, from any genuine comprehensive school). However, I am not aware of any evidence that clearly shows that the same, able child, with the same, supportive parents, would be more likely to go to Oxbridge from a grammar school than from an excellent comprehensive school.

And I'm not just an Oxbridge 'pass out' but an Oxford 'don' who also makes admissions decisions. Sadly, the knowledge and experience that comes with that position does not seem to help me much in deciding which secondary school is right for my own daughter!
Hmm.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Good luck to all the DDs and DSs out there......Your efforts will not go to waste and we wish you all the very best in the future

All the children try so hard and battle through 11+ maze, they are all amazing!

My dear wife says if we could afford it, she'd stand outside every grammar school in the country after the tests handing out shiny coloured and most glazed donuts to everyone :) :) :) If only :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Langtreemum wrote: supportive parents
The Golden Key, where ever the child goes is as you say above Langtreemum 'Supportive Parents'.
This, coupled with a happy child, will always succeed IMHO :D
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

From a happy Kendrick parent - Kendrick is also our closest secondary school!

Do they do 3 separate sciences at Langtree?

Are you happy with the languages offered? (Is Latin appealing or important to you?)

When/how/what for do they set?

Just how bad would the journey be? Train from Goring to Reading?

My gut feeling is, that as an academic, you would have less that irritated you about Kendrick. But that is probably me showing several of my prejudices!!!

But also the personality of your daughter is a factor - my eldest (at Kendrick) is very confident, not particularly bothered about how other people are doing, does very well at subjects she likes and hovers around/just above the middle for those she's not so interested in. So being at Kendrick is great for her - if she slacked off elsewhere she would still do well enough to look good but it might not be anywhere near as good as she could be doing, if that makes sense. My less-confident, more competitive second daughter was HEd until 13 and then went into Y9 at a comp, where she is doing really well - at the top of nearly all of her classes, gets loads and loads of praise which she thrives upon, lots of special attention etc - and for her, that's a really good thing :)
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

Langtreemum wrote:
Harrow - at the risk of turning this into a debate which I don't really want to have I will respond to your (rhetorical?) question:

Seconded here! Also an Oxbridge "pass out" and Russell group "don" - it's funny that despite knowing so much about university admissions, and even secondary schools in the area (a close relative teaches in a local school), it is still very difficult to make decisions about our children. But I strongly agree that making decisions based on entrance statistics to univerisity is misguided - it simply isn't how places are awarded. Nor would I want to put such expectations on an 11-year old.

Both schools have an excellent reputation, it really is a decision for you to make as a family and to go with the school that suits your DD best. Good luck!
rm68

Post by rm68 »

Thank you for posting this. I find myself in exactly the same situation. I am swayed by the academic potential at Kendrick but my DD seems put off by other girls at her prep school telling her how hard it will be.
I spoke with her headmistress this morning who wisely surmised that I would probably spend a long time wondering "what if" if I don't persuade her to try Kendrick. But is it really so much better than Borlase or Beaconsfield High?
If any current Kendrick parents read this I would love to hear if extra curricular activities are encouraged at Kendrick and what is available. There doesn't seem to be any information on the web site. Also, do you have any views on the influence the new head may have. She was very severe at the open evening which has scared us all a little.
Thanks in advance.
Langtreemum

Post by Langtreemum »

rm68 wrote: Also, do you have any views on the influence the new head may have. She was very severe at the open evening which has scared us all a little.
Thanks in advance.
Glad it wasn't just me! I found her very dour too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now