It took lots of discussion, but ultimately it was where DD felt most comfortable. I wasn't so impressed with the pastoral care, but that said there is huge opportunity within the school and great facilities. I feel that as one of the best schools in the country, I have to give DD the chance to go if that is where she really likes. I would never want her to look back and think she had high enough marks, so why wasn't she allowed to go?
Also, the most impressive thing for us at St Bernards was the Head, now that he is leaving, it does change things. Schools always go through a shaky period after change in headship and although this is normal, it is a risk. The other thing about St Bernards is the risk of merger, although this is historical, I am worried it could happen again as they are not in an amazing financial situation. The financial position also reflects around the school with the facilities that aren't very up to date. ICT is fairly poor within the school. That said, asthetics aren't everything and we would still be very happy for DD to go there, it is just that in terms of 'pros and cons', Kendrick outweighed St Bernards for us.
I think DD will be very happy at Kendrick and if I did have concerns about pastoral care, which is my niggle, then I would air these. One thing is for sure, now we have completed the forms, a huge weight has been lifted!
Good luck in your decision making!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think we have also decided to put Kendrick first. DD seems happy but she liked all the school she looked at. I have only heard positive reports from current parents which has influenced me a great deal. Let's hope it is a great outcome for both girls!