Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is 11+ Std Level 5 or 6
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06 am 
Hi

Just a little confused about what standard to prepare my child to, for the 11+ exam. As it is held in Oct/Nov of Year 6, what standard should a typical child (entering for 11+ grammar school selection) be at. I am sometimes told L5, and sometimes L6.

Post subject: SATS levels
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:27 am 

I have been told by both Colyton Grammar and Torquay Boys Grammar that it is level 5

Post subject: MelX
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 pm 

Hello there

I think that most would agree a child should be aiming for level 5's by the end of year 6. However not all Grammar school children achieve this. Alot come in with 4,4,5 or 5,5,4.

Mel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:35 pm 

Myers wrote:
Hi

Just a little confused about what standard to prepare my child to, for the 11+ exam. As it is held in Oct/Nov of Year 6, what standard should a typical child (entering for 11+ grammar school selection) be at. I am sometimes told L5, and sometimes L6.

Myers, the standard for 11+ exams and the school tests are not always comparable because they are not necessarily based on the same subjects. Which 11+ exams is your child taking?

Post subject: Reply to Catherine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:22 pm 
Hi Catherine

It is in 2 years time, but it will be Eng, Maths and either VR or NVR. The exams to be taken at Reading Boys School, and/or the Slough Grammar Schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:52 pm 

Hi Myers,

I can't comment on the level of english, because none of my son's tests (Slough and Bucks) comprised an english paper.

The level of the NFER maths tests is definitely higher than the level of the year 6 sats. Some of their content only covered by schools in year 7.

As your child will be taking the 11+ in 2 years, you have plenty of time and it is good. I would advise to read the maths, VR and NVR setcions of this forum that are mostly about NFER tests. (still can't comment about english), and please don't hesitate but ask if you have any question. There is always someone able to help.

I am going to ask forumadmin to move this topic into the Berkshire section where quite a few 'usuals' have kids who have prepared/ are preparing for Reading Grammar

Hope this helps

Catherine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:58 am 

AFAIK there is no level 6 at primary school. They only go up to level 5 in year 5 and year 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:45 pm 
Hi

Sorry for the confusion. I meant waht standard must a child be at when they sit the 11+ exam )for grammars). Is is the equivalent of Level 5 or Level 6. I wish to know so that I can prepare my child adequately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:41 pm 

Myers,

For RGS the maths paper is set in house, and is therefore not normal Nfer 11+ paper standard. From previous information on this it seems that L5 Maths would be adequate. The same applies to the English paper, L5 would be adequate.
VR and NVR are a different beast altogether. Child should have a sound and extended vocabulary base for VR, and be able to do both VR and NVR tests within set time limit. These 2 are both Nfer 11+ papers.

HTH

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:46 am 
I was told level 5 by the end of year 5 at school but to aim a bit higher with work you are doing with them at home/ tutoring to give as much of a guarantee as you can of passing the 11+ in case they have a bad day or something.