Any child travelling to grammars in Berkshire from Kingston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
capries

Any child travelling to grammars in Berkshire from Kingston

Post by capries »

Hi all,

I need to ask if anyone 's child come from Kingston upon Thames to any grammar school in Berkshire. Do they need very top marks to get admission first and if they do get a place, how do they manage travelling wise. Kingston upon Thames is far from Berkshire but are there any who does it.

As Langley does not allow child to sit the exams outside of their admissions area. So how likely is with other schools remaining that children from out of borough get a place.
Reading Mum

Re: Any child travelling to grammars in Berkshire from Kings

Post by Reading Mum »

No chance for either of the Reading schools. I am sure someone will come on with knowledge about Slough options.
vnhbmum

Post by vnhbmum »

Hi Capries,

As far as langley is concerned its purely catchment.
And for herschel there are 70 places on basis os rank order, they have got 2 merit lists
one on rank order for 70 places irrespective where you live and 50 places for local.
This year's cut off on rank order 117 and on catchment 112 for herschel.
And for slough grammar 100 places on rank order and 45 places for catchment.
Kids do travel from far.
Cut off till now is 115 for rank order and i don't know cut off for local catchment for slough grammar.
As far as i am concern i am based in hounslow so my dd got in slough grammar on rank order
with score 116. And she is in herschel in really top waiting list.
We are based in hounslow but moving to langley as its always preferable kids have to travel
less as its 7 years not 1 or 2 years.
My dd found paper very easy but i guess standardization was tight i mean may be kids in her cohort did
very well.
Its lots of factors other than ability of your kids for eleven plus.

I hope i have solved all your queries if anything you are most welcome as i think i know most of the things
about slough consortium.
capries

Post by capries »

THANKS A LOT, vnhbmum.

yes it was very useful information as I was under the impression that they do not allow any child from outside borough, as per their attachment process is concerned.And of course with all the years to come, it will be too hard for a child to travel that far.

I will try my dc to do slough tests but thought of asking before hand what is it in relation to putting effort in.But yes, on the other hand no harm in doing test as someone suggested to me.
if they do have 70 seats in rank order that means we can always try our luck.I know it will be very difficult but one needs to try.
Another question pls, once the tests are over and results out, is it work this way, that each school in consortium will operate its own offers and waiting lists or how will this process goes.

Like in your case, have you accepted slough grammar or are waiting for Herschell. Do you then be contacted by the school itself or again by LEA if you will get a place in herschell, and does it affect you if you have already accepted slough grammar place.I mean to say if one accepts a place but still on a waiting list for another, does it mean they will cut your name off from waiting list if you have accepted the place as one do in primary school admissions.

I am always confused with the process of LEA offering a place.Since it will be first time, so want to make sure I do not make a mistake.

do u think Standardization is favourable to younger kids in the year group or not really??
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

capries wrote:
do u think Standardization is favourable to younger kids in the year group or not really??
That is the purpose of standardisation. Contrary to popular belief no points are added or deducted for age, a child is only compared with children born in the same month as them. Usually children born later need to achieve a slightly lower score than the older ones, but theoretically you could have the situation where a cohort of August born children gained particularly high scores, so there might be no difference (unlikely, but possible).

There is an explanation here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation

Other than that I know nothing about Slough, I just happened to see your post :D
scary mum
vnhbmum

Post by vnhbmum »

Hi capries,

No worries i believe u can always share knowledge whatever u have as it is always helpful to others.
Regarding offers it works in order of preference for eg:in CAF form my preference was herschel and then slough grammar.
So since my dd did not get in herschel as my preference was herschel over slough my dd automatically goes on waiting list.
U can always check with school by phoning them just to make sure your kid is on waiting list.And in have accepted offer in slough grammar but if i get in herschel my slough offer will be automatically declined as it was my lowest preference. And each school
authority contacts u if waiting list moves. And then i will get a letter from your local council. Each school maintains their own waiting list.And scores are definitely given before filling CAF form so u will have very clear picture atleast for these 3 schools.
I would definetely advise there is no harm in giving test. Standardisation is not in our hands it depends on level of paper,kids in same cohort performing . So as a parent we should try that our dd performs best of his or her ability thats it.
I hope i have answered all your questions.
capries

Post by capries »

yes, and thanks a lot.

it clears my mind quite a lot.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now