Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aliportico

OK, Kendrick and Reading 2013 rollcall!

Post by aliportico »

4 weeks to go.

Who's here?

This is my 3rd time round, with dd3. (Have dd1 at kendrick and ds at Reading.) I'm not hopeful this time - she's bright, but she's slow and methodical, and I think the style and the time (and to an extent, her age - she will be 11 in a couple of weeks) will scupper her chances. Still, no point not trying!

Plan B - not sure yet. Either the comp where dd2 is about to start y11 (dd2 was HEd until she was 13 and went into y9), although it's a bit of a journey and I'm not sure dd2 will stay there for 6th form. Or stay being HEd as she is atm, although after 12 1/2 years of that I'm getting restless! We're west of Reading town centre, and I don't rate our comps over this side :(

So, what's everyone else doing and thinking?
Tinkers

Re: OK, Kendrick and Reading 2012 rollcall!

Post by Tinkers »

Did you mean 2012, or is the stress getting to you? :D

Good luck everyone this year. We did it last year.

(And a year on we will be going to Harry Potter world, or whatever it's called, on the 1st October, and hopefully have the place to ourselves)
11+11+

Post by 11+11+ »

Hi, gosh you have 1st hand experience then!! The stress is getting to me, my wife and DD are calm. I just hope DD has her head engaged on day of test as she is capable but continues to make silly mistakes by rushing and not checking through! Not sure how to improve this as the test in days away.
Last edited by 11+11+ on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jras2636

Post by jras2636 »

Oct 1 can't come soon enough. Just want to get it over with and become normal again. It still is one test a day until then. Thankfully dd has agreed (she was probably expecting something more).
Bewildered

Re: OK, Kendrick and Reading 2013 rollcall!

Post by Bewildered »

Hope you don't mind, just amended the date :)

Good Luck to your DD for the 1st Alportico and everyone whose child is sitting 11+ too :)

Bw
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Thanks Bewildered - I really did think I was losing it after reading Tinkers' message! I was definitely thinking 2013, must have just been a typo.
menhow

Post by menhow »

Twelve months on and we're now on the last lap/month.... it's been a journey of ups/downs but DD can't wait to get it over with.

We've got a schedule to do all the papers again alternating subjects. For VR we're scoring around 84-87% and NVR 78-80%... just hope she pulls it together on the day to reach the 90% threshold!
earleymom

Post by earleymom »

Highs and Lows here too.. Thank goodness school has started and back to some sort of routine. DS is so nervous and I'm hiding my nervousness and trying to encourage him - so hard to sleep in the nights :( . I'm fine with the 2nd choice - local school, but, DS will be gutted if he doesn't get through.

Was not sure what to do in the weekdays until exam, like 11+11+ 's idea, doing 10 min tests, or going through mistakes in old papers and leave tests to weekends.. Don't want his confidence level to dip now, in case test outcomes go bad!
Last edited by earleymom on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

by this stage last year for Kendrick DD was doing a couple of papers a week, some 10 min tests and we were just talking through the way to approach the types that didn't come naturally to her, rather than her struggling with them alone. It's good to talk :)
semb

Post by semb »

Nerves here too (mostly from me). Looking back over this 11 plus journey I had no idea what a rollercoster it would be! Definitely highs and lows. Sometimes Dd does really well, other times there are careless mistakes. It's the age old problem of trying to get the balance between working too quickly and making silly mistakes, or slowing down too much and not having enough time for all of the questions. Throw exam day nerves into the mix and who knows what will happen...will the adrenaline help her focus or lead to panic? Who knows...

Until then the plan is to do tests at the weekend and something short in the evenings e.g. 10 min tests or vocab or exam technique...

Good luck everyone
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now