New and confused

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FLG

New and confused

Post by FLG »

Hi all, I don't know how busy this forum is but thought I would try.
I have a son who is taking the 11+ this term (next week for the bucks one as he is in prim school there and week after for the slough one).
We have been doing practice books, papers, tests for a while now and upped it during the holidays. He is very young mature wise, our first born and very sheltered and doesn't have that many friends. He goes to an outstanding school in bucks as I wanted him to have the best start ( I went there, knew the head and also some of the teachers etc and its only a couple of miles from home).
His birthday is in August...he wasn't due until September, sods law. He isn't competitive, says he isn't bothered what school he goes to. He is a very kind boy and has younger siblings. So first day back today and the talk of the playground is tutoring and how confident and grown up the other kids are...I now feel guilty for not doing more. I myself went to a grammar school so know what its like...I know you either have it or you don't but cant quite get round the not achieving the marks bit...
Has anyone here got a younger 10 year old? Anyone had all the prep and failed? I think its bringing up feelings of angst from when I was that age!
Thanks guys
mystery

Re: New and confused

Post by mystery »

Sounds like you have prepared so please do not worry. It does not sound like the first year of c e m in bucks has stopped people preparing or scaring one another in the playground with tales of tutoring.
FLG

Re: New and confused

Post by FLG »

Thanks mystery. No, it certain hasn't. All of the online and school given practice stuff is so inconsistent the official booklet with a handful of example questions and an example answer sheet seems much easier than any of the online testing downloadable apps. It doesn't help that my husband thinks I am doing too much and has no desire to push him or do practice tests etc. He went to a comprehensive and I don't believe encouragement was ever part of his school or home life. Who would have thought about the extra that comes with it all. My MIL is a teacher and even she told me to calm down, it doesn't mean that much these days with all the opportunities later in schools. I feel like I am alone in this and then feel guilty! Sorry for venting.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now