CEM Test dates in other regions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sonasona

Re: CEM Test dates in other regions

Post by sonasona »

gameon wrote:By the way, do they have a boys school? I don't want to book him up for a girls' school exam
On the CEMosa coach we'll have the full range including 'Hermione Granger' costume, would that help? :)

Seriously, a quick search throws up Queen Mary's Boys.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

gameon wrote:We are thinking of going... But trying to find out more. Could this be beneficial to a Bucks student?
No, and the suggestion that people should do this is utter madness.

The tests in Walsall and similar areas are an absolute bun-fight because of the sheer numbers involved. There are in the region of 1400 boys taking the test at QMGS.

The test will be of a different standard to the Bucks test because it selects a far smaller proportion - less than 10%, compared to 30% in Bucks (35% after appeals).

You stand to scare the living daylights out of your child on both those counts.

There are mock tests available that will cost less than the petrol to get to Walsall.

Just don't.
gameon

Post by gameon »

Thanks Sally. Always knew you will come up with the sensible answer :)
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Sally-Anne we need a like button as your comment is spot on :D
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Sally-Anne wrote:
gameon wrote:We are thinking of going... But trying to find out more. Could this be beneficial to a Bucks student?
No, and the suggestion that people should do this is utter madness.

The tests in Walsall and similar areas are an absolute bun-fight because of the sheer numbers involved. There are in the region of 1400 boys taking the test at QMGS.

The test will be of a different standard to the Bucks test because it selects a far smaller proportion - less than 10%, compared to 30% in Bucks (35% after appeals).

You stand to scare the living daylights out of your child on both those counts.

There are mock tests available that will cost less than the petrol to get to Walsall.

Just don't.
Spot on!!! When my dd took her cem test a few years ago the biggest shock was the sheer number of dc there. There was a queue almost a mile long. I'll never forget the look on my poor dd on that cold autumn morning as soon as we turned into the school grounds to join the ever lengthening queue. So if you're thinking of going be prepared.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Its pretty clear from the threads we've seen over the last few days that a fair amount of children have been travelling the country to sit various tests.

No matter what the parents say whether be it 'We were thinking of moving home and wanted to tie the schools in with that' or 'My other half is receiving many job offers and we will go where they decide to take the job'. Regardless, their children have been sitting exams around the country and they've had one agenda from the very beginning, to get their child into a grammar school no matter what!

How many times have we now read 'Should we choose this school over that one' or 'Will we get into Kendrick with a score of 125.22?'

Time is running out folks and you need to get your CAFs in. Fill them in with your true order of preference and hopefully you'll get what you want.....just think 'Is it what my child would actually want or is it what I want as a Parent? Good luck with your decision making and I really hope you get your place of choice in March.

The coach rolls on and on.........
amnash

Post by amnash »

Oh Sona, sometimes I regret that I didn't take my DD in that coach. We only sat Kendrick and we didn't even bother to tick the Slough button, because we genuinely only wanted Kendrick nothing else. But, now as much as am sad we didn't make it, I am also glad that I didn't put my family in a situation where we will be tempted to send DD to a school 30 miles away from home or consider relocation because of my first child school (what will I do with next two then?).

We filled our CAF, and getting ready for our nest battle,,

I wish you all the best, this forum is full of brilliant parents/carers and children :)