Kendrick Induction Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Reading Mum

Re: Kendrick Induction Day

Post by Reading Mum »

I only have 1 DD but I assumed that as it is a Parents Society then the family just pay once, regardless of number of DDs.

As to what they have done for us - they organised a pre yr 7 picnic for the girls to meet ahead of time and they collated and circulated class contact lists which have proved very useful since. Handy for organising activities to cover INSET days etc. There was a quiz night but I couldn't make that.
Our class rep organised a Christmas meal for Mums and DDs - 30 plus of us hit Cosmo one evening. Quite a few of us went to Coral Reef in the October half term. There have been other invites.
11+11+

Post by 11+11+ »

Like the sound of this!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

it has been mentioned that we seem to be the more socially active class
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

TigerMum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:I have never heard of a school charging a PTA membership fee before ...

They cannot insist on contributions for school fund - you already contribute through tax!
No, I'd not heard of a membership fee for a PTA before either. And yes, the voluntary donation is voluntary, but we all know how stretched state schools are and if it's affordable for the family, then why not support the school?

I don't think it's wrong of the school to ask, but it would be wrong if they expected every family to give it.
Reading Mum wrote:I paid membership of my DD's previous parents assoc so I wasn't surprised by that. There is a certain minimum amount of income needed just to operate such an organisation and everything they make gets spent on the girls.
Reading Mum do you think their membership is per child too? :wink: I shall have to ask on Wednesday. And has the KPS done much for your year group? Class? I was just wondering about the "getting to know each other" type of things they might do, and also the role of class rep - what do you think?
The KPS discussed payment from families with twins in a meeting. Forgotten what the outcome was, but I think if you ask, you will get the answer you hope. :wink:

DD said she saw the two tigers and they looked happy.

Glad everyone had a good day.

Last year I think I managed to get a skirt. That was it. Please be warned, it's a bit of a scrum, if you don't do crowds (as I don't), then plan a trip to Bourne End or buy online. I did buy on line and found their sizings pretty good.

White shirts from JL (M&S don't do the open neck type), have certainly withstood the first year (except wood stain doesn't come out, hopefully yesterday blackberry crumble stains will).

Would recommend joining KPS, they will organise a picnic or some such over the summer for each class and various socials through the year. It's also a way of getting contact details for other parents. We found another girl very local who would be using the same bus stop, so contacted them to see if they wanted the girls to travel together. They were most delighted that their DD would have someone to travel with, and they still do.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

11+11+ wrote:We are really up for the sharing of info so we can get to know local families and our DD can start interacting with others. However this can only work if many do it, also I fear more will sign up for it, who possibly live outside of Reading, rather than those who do reside in Reading. Just a theory!

If it reassures, most of DDs class signed up.

The KPS membership is a one off payment, not every year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Reading mum - most PTAs do all that without needing to charge a joining fee!
tbaby21

Post by tbaby21 »

How do I pay for KPS ?, is it by visiting the room and paying in cash or cheque ?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think I gave them a cheque, with the form.
11+11+

Post by 11+11+ »

has any of the DD's or indeed parents done the quiz at the end of booklet.. talk about headspin!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Just reminded of something as I have been going through old emails to reduce my inbox.

In the info booklet it will mention that is a tradition to embroider the girls initials on Their PE kit (just above the Kendrick crest).

If it says this year's colour is purple, question it. It said it in ours and turned out to be wrong. It hadn't been updated from a previous year. We did get an email later on telling us what colour to use.