Potential Kendrick Cutoff

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DGG_Inc

Re: Potential Kendrick Cutoff

Post by DGG_Inc »

A little too late to the cutoff party, but here goes my two cents. I like the original Curious George post highlighting a potential low cutoff (111.5). I have been looking at Reading and not Kendrick but I think they are similar. It seems a SD of 10 is used, as 15 would not predict the highest scores at 134 or 130 for reading. It also gives roughly top 15% to make the pass mark, so between 150-190 people to make the pass mark. All this seems about right as some 30-50 are either OOC or do not list either school as the top spot on the CAF. In addition, we have a slough score as our results were shared. It seems with a high mark of 165 that slough is using a SD of 20, yielding top30% at a cutoff of 111. The letter from slough suggested the top 30% made the cutoff. I can't use a SD of 15 or 10 here as 165 lies outside the range! So Curious updated his cutoff on the fact that 1250/3500 qualified at slough. This does not affect the Kendrick calculation as slough is on a SD of 20 and looking at identifying the top 30%.
SO........... if a large portion of these are OOC ( easy to do this year just tick the box). The cutoff will go low! Rankings can be calculated using a SD of 10 I am sure, and top 130 or so should qualify....
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

kara123 wrote:We had an email from the school stating SD is 15 and mean is 100.

The NORMDIST function assumes results are distributed in a standard bell shaped curve. I'm no expert but know enough to say that, in reality, the distribution will not look like this for many reasons such as variations in amount/quality of tuition received by students. Not all 1203 students that set the test will be in catchment and, unlike earlier years, one can no longer move into catchment following result publication. I suspect the number able to apply for day places will be much less than 1203.
So if Reading have gone 100/15 can't see why Kendrick wouldn't follow.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... il#p480508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Assuming Kendrick has also used SD of 15 what further information can we get?

Also, if 30% of DDs have passed does that mean 360 DDs are now competing for 96 places?
bahuguna

Post by bahuguna »

so what are we predicting the cut off going up and down . I don't know anything about SD and how it is calculated.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

berks_mum wrote:Assuming Kendrick has also used SD of 15 what further information can we get?

Also, if 30% of DDs have passed does that mean 360 DDs are now competing for 96 places?
I just posted in Reading Boys cutoff thread, I had a chat with the admission lady at RBS, she clearly told me that that they have not given this kind of information to any parents this year. I would imagine the same for Kendrick as well but I might be wrong.
There might of lot of hearsay in the forum which we are not aware of.

I do not know the historical data of Kendrick, how may students are there usually above the cut off marks ? (assuming that the total number of students appearing for Kendrick exam do not vary that widely)
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Why can't the schools give out information about -
1) How many in catchment/OOC DCs qualified
2) In catchment/OOC DCs score range.

I understand that not everyone who has qualified and is in catchment will put the given school as first preference but the school can add that note to the information provided.

ps. If I remember correct, Tiffins results mentions that enough DCs in catchment has qualified so no chance for OOCs. Not sure if they give a range of score for In catchment DCs
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

kara123 wrote:Our DD is in Y8. She says:
1. In Year 7 the girls get put into 3 sets after Christmas. The sets are not set in stone and girls can move up or down at the end of Year 7 if it is warranted.
2. In Year 8 there are 4 sets - top, middle and 2 lower sets. She is in top set and thinks there are 30 girls. Without having the figures, it is clear the lower sets have fewer girls and therefore will get more individual attention.

She does not agree with the assertion that there are great difficulties for those not at the top of the class. In general, girls doing well are given more work (to keep them busy) whilst those working at a lower pace are given more help and attention. Hope this helps....
In yr 7 our DD was given the choice of middle or bottom set. Her school had not done SATS and there seemed to be a large number of girls who had covered extra curriculum towards level 6 that she just hadn't done. She chose the bottom set for the more detailed/in depth teaching style.
This year she is in the middle set as she has caught up and addressed the gaps. There are 30 in top and middle sets and bottom set is split into 2 groups of 18. They all cover the same curriculum but with different teaching styles and undoubtedly more 'stretch' for those in the top set.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now