Really undecided - Holt v Kendrick - any opinions please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rg45mum

Really undecided - Holt v Kendrick - any opinions please?

Post by rg45mum »

DD scored over 119 - so all things being equal in theory has a very good chance of a place at Kendrick We just can't make our mind up between Kendrick and a marvellous all girls local comp in Wokingham (The Holt). I would really appreciate any advice from new year 7 mums (or other years) whose daughters have been to either, or have friends who have etc. There are pros and cons at both, but DD is really determined to do a career that will require A/A* at A level and has been set on this for a very long time.

Journey time to the Holt will be shorter, but I worry whether she will get enough challenge there. All her predicted end of Year 6 results are in the 5/6 level range and she is very strong in maths and science. She is also however very good at sport.

I also would like to know what interaction with boys the girls get at either of the schools.

Also thoughts on mixing and making friends. She will know basically no one at either school and so am really keen for her to go where it will be easiest to settle and stands the best chance of building new friendships.

Thank you.
amnash

Re: Really undecided - Holt v Kendrick - any opinions please

Post by amnash »

I am interested to hear about the Holt too,, so let us hope someone with a daughter there come and shed some lights
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My only experience with girls form the Holt was an engineering challenge my company did in the beginning of the year.
We had 4 schools competing, Maiden Erlegh, Abbey, Reading and Holt.

The Holt school won the competition. Their presentation skills weren't the best (Abbey were quite exceptional) but apparently they had worked extremely hard at their report and had worked well as a team.

My DD is in Year 8 at Kendrick and loves it. I mentioned that someone in year 7 might be leaving this half term and she looked puzzled. "Why would they want to leave?" Which I think somes it up really.

The girls are challenged and are expected to work hard, but they are also strongly encouraged to do other things, either as clubs in school or outside of school.

In terms of mixing, most girls don't really know any one else. My DD was a bit of an exception as she ended up in the same class as her best friend, (the school split up girls from the same primary, but there were 4 from her school, so two had to be together). However she has made lots of new friends. Despite the 15 mile catchment, most live reasonably close tbh so meeting with friends isn't too difficult.

There are school discos with Reading school I believe, but my DD doesn't do discos...

The only other comment I would make is that if you chose Kendrick then changed your mind and wanted Holt, that's probably a much easier move than going to Holt and changing your mind and wanting Kendrick.

The results from Holt are very good, I'm sure she would do well at either.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

rg45 mum, your DD has a very good score for Kendrick and very good chance to get in. Kendrick is high in league tables as compared to Holt.
We know someone whose daughters went to Holt and did extremely well. They are in very good Unis now. I know one more mum who thought the top 2 sets of the Holt are of Grammar standard. Wokingham is a very nice place to live. Houses immediately next to the Holt school are expensive but are more reasonable a small (walking)distance away (still in Holt catchment). I also know parents who have DCs in both St Crispins and Holt. According to them, St Crispins didn't have a good reputation some years ago but has changed a lot now. St.Crispins is very good for sciences. House prices around St. Crispins were slightly cheaper when we looked but may have caught up now.
I also know many parents who didn't bother applying for Grammars as the comps in WBC are really good.

(x posted with Tinkers)
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Presumably you have done the journeys to and from both schools, during rush hour to make a comparison? And you are confident that you live well within the catchment for the Holt (we know people who are in catchment but still too far away to qualify for a place)?

With your DD's score, personally I would put Kendrick down as first on the CAF followed by Holt. As Tinkers rightly says you can't change your mind for Kendrick later on.

As a yr7 Kendrick mother, I have been extremely happy with how well my kids have settled in. According to them, ALL the girls are nice. They have 2 hours of PE per week plus numerous after school sports clubs, here's a link to the clubs list, it looks fairly up to date http://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/student-life/clubs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plenty of girls start without knowing anyone else. I was surprised that most of our classmates are from the Reading area, I think in each class there is a handful from further afield - they take trains or are driven. The ones on public transport seem to really enjoy it.

We have yet to experience the joys of a joint disco with Reading Boys :wink:
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

My DD is in Y12 at Kendrick, she joined in Y7 and loves it there. But one of her school friends was disappointed by her GCSE results and opted for The Holt for Y12. I have little information but it seems that she is happy there and the switch has gone smoothly. I don't know all the background to why she chose to leave Kendrick, her friends were surprised and disappointed to see her go. I think Kendrick is a wonderful school for bright girls but clearly it's not for everyone.
rg45mum

Post by rg45mum »

DD had 119 and we have elected to go to the Holt not Kendrick - better sports facilities and equivalent GCSEs results. Very impressed by the head and daughter prefers it - a beautiful green site.
baleine_33

Post by baleine_33 »

Holt produced 20+ oxbridge candidates the year before. The able are very challenged from what I understand.
No oxbridge candidates at Emmbrook, a couple at Yateley, and a handful at St Crispins.
My daughter has passed Kendrick and has just sat the level 6 Maths which she passed with 2 other boys at school.
She is on target for level 6 in literacy too. We have opted for Holt as 2nd choice...which we will probably get :)
Fingers crossed, we never know how many who passed will choose to remain in Slough! (personally prefer Holt uniform colours :) )
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

just sat the level 6 Maths which she passed with 2 other boys at school.
Sorry , the tests are in May 2015 so this just isn't true ...
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

rg45mum,
" better sports facilities and equivalent GCSEs results"
Didn't understand the equivalent GCSEs results. Last time I looked I thought Kendrick had higher GCSE results than the Holt. Did I miss something?

baleine_33,
Holt produced 20+ oxbridge candidates the year before.

Is this information published on Holt school's website?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now