Questions for current Kendrick parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BlueSmarties

Re: Questions for current Kendrick parents

Post by BlueSmarties »

rainbowcarousel wrote:My DD is neither sporty nor musical, though I think she would enjoy a dance club. It was the only one on the list of clubs she was interested in. She doesn't play an instrument so that's music out the window!
My DD says that only 5 or 6 of them in their music class can read music / play an instrument - so surely not everyone is a musical prodigy on the side? :wink:

I think that the school tries to encourage participation not in order to coerce kids into doing things they don't want, but to engender a feeling of belonging and school community.

It's a shame the next open day is too late for you.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

BlueSmarties wrote:My DD says that only 5 or 6 of them in their music class can read music / play an instrument - so surely not everyone is a musical prodigy on the side? :wink:
I think that is why they are quite keen to get the ones who can play something to sign up for the bands
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Piano players seem safe, at least DD hasn't been approached. However she doesn't have piano lessons at school, so might be under their radar. The music teacher knows she plays though. I guess piano just isnt a 'band' instrument.

There's a fair few more in DDs class that play instruments. Don't know how many play in school bands and ensembles though.

Ukeleles seem quite popular with students and staff alike. DD isn't keen though :lol:

I'd also agree with RM, Kendrick doesn't come across as a hothouse environment. DD was certainly happy to be going back to school this morning.
Village Mum

Post by Village Mum »

Anyone have experience or knowledge of learning the cello at Kendrick ?

My daughter currently learns with Maestros at primary and has a lovely teacher, but apparently they don't teach cello at Kendrick. There is another provider ?

And since she is moving to a full size cello soon, I wondered if children really lug in a massive cello in by train ? If that's the case, I can see it will be a no for us. A rucksack of books will be enough.

So I'm asking is anyone has experience of the cello teacher and orchestra and if it is worth switching from the maestros system - and if there are cellos to use at school which stay there ?

it's a long shot but worth an ask I felt....

Thanks.
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

Berkshire Maestros go into Kendrick to teach - girls miss breaks or half a lesson for their music lesson (catch up with missed work through friends). I've seen cellists at the music concerts, but I don't know if they learn at school or privately.

Is it a question of numbers that Maestros have said to you already that they won't teach it at Kendrick? Perhaps there'll be other cellists in your year group (a good reason to check with the music coordinator).

There is a harpist in our year - I believe her harp is brought in by the parents and kept in the music rooms during the day. Or possibly the teacher brings the harp so the girl doesn't have to, can't remember exact details sorry. You could get in touch with the head of music to check arrangements - I'm sure you won't be the first to such questions.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We had something similar with BM. DD was having keyboard lessons at primary with them, but the told us they didn't teach key lard or piano at Kendrick, and 'Miss Tinkers could choose another instrument, we teach...' And gave us a list.

Well Miss Tinkers wasn't having any of that, she wanted to continue with keyboard. BM said if there was enough demand they might in the future offer it, so we are on a list I think. However I think private lessons are also offered, so I doubt there will ever be demand. I think cello might also be offered privately?

BM also offered, (after I asked further) lessons at one of their music centres, I know they have one at Waingels College and there is another, but I can't remember where. Location of the other didn't suit and timing at waingels didn't fit in for some reason, but it might be an option for you, if you wanted to continue with BM.

We ended up finding a keyboard teacher outside of school who also taught her piano, then Miss contrary decided that she prefered piano after all. :roll:
She also prefers not to be missing lessons.

There is a storage area for instruments at school. Not sure about lugging around a cello on the bus or train though, and kendrick are quite strict about parents driving into the school, so I would ask about that.
Village Mum

Post by Village Mum »

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't much like the idea of missing lessons for music or getting no down time at breaks. Maybe I need to investigate private lessons for cello some more.
Thank you.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Those who have a travel time of more than 15-20mins each way what is your after school routine? Do the DDs have enough time to do any activity, homework, bed time reading and sufficient hours of sleep? Currently, 8.00pm bedtime seems to be in my DDs comfort zone.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD has a 25 minute walk - it would take me a lot less time but there you go!
She stays in the library or attends a club till 4:30 so home around 5pm. If she has been to the library for an hour then there doesn't seem to be a lot more homework to do at that point. She goes up to bed at 8:30pm these days so does have time to fit in a piano lesson one evening during the week. Lights are probably not out till 9ish. Other activities are Friday night and weekend so she can stay up a bit later.
Her alarm goes off at 6:45am in the week but she is very slow at getting ready and doesn't leave till 7:45ish
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DDs travel time is bus dependent, but is about 20-30 mins. However I don't bank on her leaving school bang on 3:15, too much time spent talking to friends etc, so she will get home between 3:45 and 4. (Tbh sometimes I think it would be quicker for her to walk home, but her travel companion isn't up for it.)

They don't seem to get much homework these days. :roll: trying decide whether that's a good thing or not.

Typically goes upstairs at 8, but takes a while to get herself ready for bed, usually reads for a while. We have been letting her stay up until 9 to see the comic relief bake off and the sewing bee, as apart from Dr Who, it's about the only TV she watches.

What I would say, regardless of what secondary school they end up at, make sure they get plenty of sleep the first few weeks. Starting secondary is tiring, there's so much more to think about and they won't have been used to it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now