Reading Boys exam pattern

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
indiemom

Re: Reading Boys exam pattern

Post by indiemom »

That's a very good pointer sonasona.

But I have my doubts whether the parents will be told about the % weightage on the open day :D
mb123

Post by mb123 »

Thank you so much for all your inputs.
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Hi

A number of my tutees came back to me and tried to break down the papers, from which I deduced that about 50% was VR, 30% Maths and 20% NVR. Of course that can change but I think VR will remain the main component.
mb123

Post by mb123 »

Just a quick question, are the questions for Reading boys exam are all multiple choice? or a combination of multiple choice and standard format? Also how many marks is each paper for?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It should look a bit like this.

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=12318&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mb123

Post by mb123 »

Thanks Tinkers. That's really helpful. It looks like most of them are multiple choice except part B of numerical reasoning. Is that right? Also can you tell how many marks is each paper.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have no idea, but would expect a mark per question. Weighting of the different sections and how many of different types of question can vary. CEM is after my 11+ time so I don't know very much, but expect the unexpected, expect it to be very time pressured and expect your DC not to finish.

Don't see this paper as a good representation of what will come up on the day. It's more a guide to format as much as anything. CEM can and do alter their questions all the time.
Reading2015

Post by Reading2015 »

As far as I can see, Weightage given to different subject has been same for for all schools/consortiums using CEM exam (including Berks): They standardised row scores of English/VR, Maths and NVR separately (different standard deviation was used for different schools/consortiums hence different range of scores) and then they worked out final score = 50% of English/VR standardised score + 25% of Maths standardised score + 25% of NVR standardised score.

Long story short, English/VR carries more weight over Maths and NVR individually.

I think larger standard deviation was used for Slough (and even larger for Bucks) due to number of children included in the result so that not too many children end up with same score (or too close to each other).
Last edited by Reading2015 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Makes sense.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

mb123 wrote:Thanks Tinkers. That's really helpful. It looks like most of them are multiple choice except part B of numerical reasoning. Is that right? Also can you tell how many marks is each paper.
The beauty or danger of CEM is that the pattern might be changed from time to time, so it's very hard to predict what is going to happen.

Only thing that is certain is that the english (or so called verbal ability) will be predominant compared to Maths and NVR. And there will be no coding type of questions like GL VR.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now