Advice for 11+ in Berks/Buck

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nathanf

Advice for 11+ in Berks/Buck

Post by nathanf »

Hello , I am in panic!!! my son is preparing for the 11+ with a tutor and just realised that she is training him in the old way and one hour a week is not enough. is it to late to change or any books I can use at home to help. Open for any advice. we will be doing Berks/Buck. He wants to get into John Hampden. Thank you for any advice.
scary mum

Re: Advice for 11+ in Berks/Buck

Post by scary mum »

Have you looked at this?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=30079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It shocks me that a tutor doesn't know what system is being used. Where in Berkshire are you? JHGS is not that easy to get to depending where you are. Have you thought of BGS (good train connections to Reading etc). You know that Berks & Bucks have separate exams?
scary mum
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

OP, first of all don't panic. Take a deep breath and relax.

Not everything from the old style preparation is a waste. NVR is still helpful and is part of CEM testing. In VR, vocabulary still has a lot of importance. Your DC's vocabulary may have improved with the old style VR. Coding type questions didn't appear in CEM tests so far, however, CEM is completely unpredictable and the exam can change without any notice. Also, coding type questions help with Maths(indirectly). You may have just missed out on comprehension. But comprehension is multiple choice and if your DC reads lots then not much to worry.

Now,
1) Get CEM materials from the market/online, mostly papers, make your DC go through them and see what level your DC is. Look for weaker areas and try to plug the gaps in learning. Doing papers will also help improve speed.
2) Get as many publications as you can and make a plan.
3) Even if your DC scores 60-70% at this stage there is enough time to improve.
4) Book as many mocks as you can. This is very helpful for DCs to get a real feel of the exam, manage their nerves and increase confidence.

Post here if you have any questions or if you like to share any information.
nathanf

Post by nathanf »

scary mum wrote:Have you looked at this?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=30079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It shocks me that a tutor doesn't know what system is being used. Where in Berkshire are you? JHGS is not that easy to get to depending where you are. Have you thought of BGS (good train connections to Reading etc). You know that Berks & Bucks have separate exams?

Thank you very much to you all
nathanf

Post by nathanf »

nathanf wrote:
scary mum wrote:Have you looked at this?

Thank you very much to you all

Hi Buck_mum,
You are right on his scoring. He doesn't like reading. I have got the books. but how to I plan?
Thank you very much for all your help.
have a good day :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... r-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May help?
nathanf

Post by nathanf »

Thank you very much