Moving to UK from India next year April 2016.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

deepti

Moving to UK from India next year April 2016.

Post by deepti »

Hi all,

We are planning to move to Reading next April 2016. My daughter is 10 yrs old now.She is born on Aug 2nd,2005.

I guess she will be placed in yr 6 when we move there next April.

My doubt is regarding Grammar school. Can we apply for grammar school for her ? Is she eligible for that? Please let me know the procedure how to get an admission into Kendrick grammar school.

Will there be an entrance exam like 11 plus? On which topics she needs to concentrate?

Tx
Deepti.
Tinkers

Re: Moving to UK from India next year April 2016.

Post by Tinkers »

You need to apply for secondary schools by end of October in year 6. If you are moving here and she will be entering year 6 in April you have missed boat. You will get a place at a secondary school some where (where there are places left) but will have missed all the tests for grammars in all regions and school places will have already been allocated 1st March. Some regions will allow a late sitting for those moving into the area but Kendrick isn't one of them.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Kendrick appears to have the same in-year admissions policy as our local grammars, i.e you can indicate interest in a place outside of the normal admissions round, but your child will only be invited to take the entrance tests if a vacancy actually arises in the relevant year group. Which is possibly not very often but worth a try.

http://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/wp-c ... Policy.pdf
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Three places have come up for the current year 9s, one was part way through year 8 the others at the start of year 9. Typically there are about 20 girls trying for one place when in year places come up.
deepti

Post by deepti »

Thank you so much Tinkers n ToadMum.

I am so much confused after reading all these admission process.

Hmm anyways, I have to look for a primary school for 3 months from April to June 2016 and also

I am just trying to get a secondary place for her in some good sec school if not grammar school(Guess v r not lucky enough). Or can we try both simultaneously??

And also a good place to live in near by to her school which she gets into next year.

First get into school or a place to live near by or the other way around? How does it go?

Please suggest me how to deal all this in an easy manner. And suggest some good secondary schools too where we can expect a place .

Tx
Deepti.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Hi

most school entry is done by catchment so you need to be in place before applying for the school. Obviously if this is not possible then the local authority has to find you a school place somewhere but it may be nowhere near where you live and probably at a school you wouldn't choose (the popular ones will be full). Unfortunately mid year 6 is about the worst time for this move :(

I would think a call to Reading Borough Council would be your first step.
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

I believe for many local authorities (Reading and neighbouring Wokingham shouldn't be exceptions) will require proof of your new address before they can allocate a primary school place.

In our part of East Reading, Bulmershe secondary is under subscribed and considered a very up-and-coming, good school. Maiden Erlegh secondary is over subscribed, but I don't know what their in year admissions is like.

The waiting list for Kendrick is held until the end of December of year 7, if spaces come up then they are offered to those who have already sat the test. After January, I believe you have to "register your interest" with the school (and for each subsequent academic year) which would put your daughter on a list of candidates for the exam for in year admissions.

Best to contact the local authority you'll be moving to for confirmation.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now