how's everybody holding up?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Thanks kendrick mum? :)

DD came out of both Kendrick and RGS (said she saw quite a few familiar faces there from Kendrick the day before) happy and positive - all we can ask for I guess :)

The time between now and March is looking endless though! People keep saying to me, "oh, P's so bright, she'll be BOUND to get in," and I have to keep saying nicely, through gritted teeth, "You don't know what the competition is like at this place!"

Bewildered - no, I think Steve's reading of the 109.0 is more correct. If it meant the 109th place on the list, it wouldn't have the "point zero" for a start :) I think that sentence is saying that as long as the statemented/looked after child reaches whatever mark they deem an absolute minimum then they'll take them.

Anyway, I really hope everyone here gets good news next year.
angelal

Post by angelal »

My friend's daughter missed a few (I don't know exactly how many) questions last year in VR, but she got in.

I think many girls were happy when they came out of the exam was because the questions were in general easier than some in the practical papers. Well, they may only remember those 'very' difficult ones and how they struggled with them. When they found the real paper was easier, they should be happy.:) It doesn't mean that they answered them all right!

So I think the pass mark shouldn't be as high as we thought. :)

Let's not scare ourselves. :)
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi aliportico,

Nice to hear from you and I'm pleased that your daughter felt the two tests went well. :D

I also now think that 109.0 is a pass mark rather than a placing. Many girls will achieve that pass mark, but they will obviously not all be offered a place. I remember the posting from 'mum10' back in March whose dd came 103rd with a score of 110 but needed 114 (I'm sure Steve will dig out the post if necessary!), but she did get offered a place very quickly.

Regarding the age-standardisation debate; I'm inclined to go along with Kendrick mum?'s information about only a few scores being adjusted if neccessary as I had heard something similar but didn't quite understand at the time. My DP believes the 'Kendrick do not age-standardise' theory simply because they have never stated (to my knowledge) that they DO age-standardise. We may never know :roll:

To angelaL,

Some very wise words there - I will keep that in mind in the next three months. :)

Ella
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Yes, I agree, and stand corrected :) , it's the 'point zero', after the 109 that was a niggle.
All the figures being mentioned are within the range of an age standardised table, so jury's still out on that.

Thanks Ella, Good Luck to your DD as well.
kendrick mum?

Post by kendrick mum? »

Hi Aliportico

I'm glad your dd was happy after both exams, hope we all have good news in March, will soon be here just got to get through next couple of months. hopefully xmas will distract. Thanks for the reassurance angelal must stop scaring myself.

Kendrick mum?
angelal

Post by angelal »

Dear all,

I have seen two reports from Kendrick. I can't remember the figures. I just remembered that there were two scores, one for VR and one for NVR and the position of the score.

I think Kendrick might set up a pass mark for each paper based on the performance of that year, for example, 86. Then devide everyone's score by that number. Hence we have something like 1xx and 9x. For example, a girl scored 96 on a paper, and she gets 1.126, which means 12.6% above the pass mark. I guess Kendrick add up the two scores, maybe average them, put the results in order, then get the top 93. In the case of a tie, the younger girl will be placed a higher position than the older one.

It is possible that a girl scored 1xx and 9x, which failed on one paper, and still gets in. The normalised score provide the information of the strength/weakness of the girl (not true in some cases).

I think age is a factor, but not that important as most of the girls should have a higher 'reading age', above 11 years old.

I am not sure if I am right. I am pretty sure that both marks are important, and age does play a role.

Thanks, Ella, and Kendrick Mum?, I hope we all have good news in March.

Angelal
Ella

Post by Ella »

Thought I would bump this thread as I'm stuck at home with dd who has a nasty sickness bug. :(

Kendrick mum? Are you still there and, if so, did you manage to register on the forum - perhaps you were trying to include a ? in your username and the system won't let you? Just a thought.

Then I could send you a PM so we can exchange any Kendrick gossip, rumours, etc. :) :wink:

Speak soon.
Ella

Post by Guest »

Kendrick mum?

Just to let you know, got your PM and I have replied briefly - will send another longer message soon.

Ella
Ella

Post by Ella »

That was, of course, me not logged on :oops:

Ella
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Krikey! Kendrick Mum,

You took took the plunge and signed up :D :shock:
WELCOME!!

:D :D :D

BW