Slough Consortium - OOC

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Curiousparent

Slough Consortium - OOC

Post by Curiousparent »

Hope everyone got the results that they wanted. My best wishes to all.

I need help understanding the OOC policy for Slough. I have been to the sites of the 4 schools in the consortium. I am listing below the three schools we could be aiming for.

Langley - it appears, irrespective of the scores achieved (obviously above 111), the school only works on "distance from school" criteria and their catchment area. So OOC candidates have no chance. is this correct?

Upton - they say that they give admissions to 100 children in rank order of performance - does this mean this is irrespective catchment because I do not find any reference to catchment

HGS - 70 pupils in rank order of performance - does this mean this is irrespective catchment because I do not find any reference to catchment

I would appreciate any help in the matter. Know this sounds a bit dense, but am seriously confused (I thought I had understood).

As always thanks in advance.
Curiousparent

Re: Slough Consortium - OOC

Post by Curiousparent »

Sorry and just one more question. Any chance of getting a place at Kendrick ? I know this is wishful thinking but wanted to get everyone's opinion while we were on the subject. Thanks again.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Are you in catche,nt for Kendrick?

If not, then you have no chance of a place, if yes, then it depends on score.
Curiousparent

Post by Curiousparent »

Thanks Tinkers. Not in catchment for Kendrick :( . So Kendrick is then ruled out. My DD got a fairly good score so was hoping otherwise. Could you also please help confirm my understanding for OOC places for the other Slough consortium schools.

PS - apologies for creating a new thread. Noticed had asked the same question in a different thread earlier.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The Kendrick scores haven't come out yet I don't think, so while there's likely to be similarity between the two scores, they are being standardised against different cohorts, so it's not a given.

I don't really know much about the Slough schools, apart from what is on the school websites.
Curiousparent

Post by Curiousparent »

Thanks again. Agreed. Jumping the gun a bit. Need to calm down. Hoping someone can help.
2015_11_plus

Post by 2015_11_plus »

Curiousparent wrote: Langley - it appears, irrespective of the scores achieved (obviously above 111), the school only works on "distance from school" criteria and their catchment area. So OOC candidates have no chance. is this correct?
Yes, if OOC then there is no realistic chance.
Curiousparent wrote: Upton - they say that they give admissions to 100 children in rank order of performance - does this mean this is irrespective catchment because I do not find any reference to catchment

HGS - 70 pupils in rank order of performance - does this mean this is irrespective catchment because I do not find any reference to catchment
Yes this is irrespective of catchment. However, again if there are more applicants than places then distance will be applied.
Dadcool

Post by Dadcool »

2015_11_plus wrote:
Curiousparent wrote: Langley - it appears, irrespective of the scores achieved (obviously above 111), the school only works on "distance from school" criteria and their catchment area. So OOC candidates have no chance. is this correct?
Yes, if OOC then there is no realistic chance.
Curiousparent wrote: Upton - they say that they give admissions to 100 children in rank order of performance - does this mean this is irrespective catchment because I do not find any reference to catchment

Yes this is irrespective of catchment. However, again if there are more applicants than places then distance will be applied.
Distance will come into picture only if two DCs have same score ??? OR preference will be given to applicants who live closer to school ??? Really confused :(
2015_11_plus

Post by 2015_11_plus »

Dadcool wrote: Distance will come into picture only if two DCs have same score ??? OR preference will be given to applicants who live closer to school ??? Really confused :(
Typically yes but only if there are more applicants than places available. An example: say 90 places are allocated. Remaining 10 places and there are 20 applicants with the next highest score. Then distance will be used to pick the 10 closest.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now