Appeal to Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pmootyen

Appeal to Grammar Schools

Post by pmootyen »

Dear All

I would kindly ask for some advice on appeals . Our DC got 112 in Slough Test and 103 on Reading, in both instances we
feel he could have got higher . He has been diagnosed with ADHD recently but did not have access to medication until after the exam. Current school has reported significant improvement in his work at school.

We put both on our CAF but was wondering if anyone could guide us on appeal or had done something similar . Have seen templates but thought would ask here to see if any advice or if even worthwhile appealing.

TIA
Tinkers

Re: Appeal to Grammar Schools

Post by Tinkers »

Here is the place to start if you haven’t already.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you’ve gone through that, then come back and ask any questions.

I know successful appeals for Reading are very few and far between. I believe Slough schools are also difficult to win, but I’m not a Slough expert or an appeals expert.

The most important thing for any non qualifying GS appeal is academic evidence.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Did you also put a local school on your CAF that you’ll be happy with?
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

pmootyen wrote:Dear All

I would kindly ask for some advice on appeals . Our DC got 112 in Slough Test and 103 on Reading, in both instances we
feel he could have got higher . He has been diagnosed with ADHD recently but did not have access to medication until after the exam. Current school has reported significant improvement in his work at school.

We put both on our CAF but was wondering if anyone could guide us on appeal or had done something similar . Have seen templates but thought would ask here to see if any advice or if even worthwhile appealing.

TIA
Where are you located? with 112 your DS qualified for Slough.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The OP is based near Reading.
pmootyen

Post by pmootyen »

Hi

Thank you for the comments We are Based in Reading J11 on M4 . We placed both on our CAF and also 2 secondary schools 1 we would be happy with. 2 weeks away but we will prepare for an appeal and see how it goes.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

If you passed Slough, you are unlikely to get a place but it sounds like you hae named a Slough school or two on your CAF? (Though it will be a horrible commute from reading irrespective of whether your DC has autism or not).
which ones did you put down?
In order to appeal you must be rejected and then appeal after 1st March based on oversubscrription.
There is lots of info in the appeal section of the forum
BUT.....
Think very carefully about whether you really want to appeal.
I hope that you have put a non selective option on your form as you can in no way assume you will win an appeal. If not you will be allocated a school that has spaces and it may not be one you had considered.
More importantly: uncertainty is very difficult for some children to manage, especially those on the autistic spectrum. Appealing means your child may not know where they are going to school until June/July, and they may find this intensely stressful.
At the leavers events forntheir primary, they won’t know which school to tell people they are going to. They may miss out on “settling in” events and days that are organised by their new school, they can’t discuss adjusting to secondary with their SENCO or teachers.
It may be psychologically easier for them to know for definite that they re going to school X and that this is okay....’if you hold up a grammar as being “the prize” it will be hard if they are given the idea that it’s second best to go to a non selective. Kids can be very black and white about this.

Good luck.
pmootyen

Post by pmootyen »

Thanks , DC will be fine with the settling in more ADD for his concentration , we have placed two non selective schools to 1 of which will be happy with 1 maybe not so happy . Lets see but we will certainly accepy whichever school. It is sort of good timing I may be getting a role in Maidenhead next month so will be able to drop potentially .
Lets see will be happy when all over :)
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Ah, didn’t see that: it’s good that you have a non selective backup.

Remember that for children with focus issues it can sometimes be helpful to have a shorter commute to school in order to give them more time to tackly homework and balance their other needs: for all children it’s a big change in organisation when they go up to secondary. My DD2 has SEN and a shorter school journey is proving very advantageous for her.

Good luck however you choose to play it and I really hope you get a school you and DC are happy with.
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

Make sure you are realistic with the commute time during rush hour (up to double the usual drive time) for Slough schools. Also bare in mind the long term M4 work. I know every child is different but my child who is autistic cannot travel independently or navigate and is sensitive to sound so could never use the train for example. Mine takes twice as long to do homework and can't keep focus enough if it is isn't done by 7:30pm. Would your DC have more focusing issues and struggle with tiredness with a longer day and commute? It really is a big change from primary. Also not every Grammar in Slough is as experienced at handling children with SEN as others. You can usually tell a lot from their website.

Good SEN support is everything whether at Grammar or not. Mine is doing very well but I really put it down to the exceptional SENco we've had who has gone above and beyond to ensure my DC is well supported and looked after. We've also had an awful one in her primary school and the difference it made to their happiness and progression in school was huge. It may be worth an appeal if it would help you access a more suitable school for your DCs needs closer to home.