Reading School Transport Wargrave/Twyford Direction

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Florrie

Reading School Transport Wargrave/Twyford Direction

Post by Florrie »

Hello,
I wonder if anyone has advice or experience of transport to Reading school. We live in the Wargrave/Twyford area and from what I have seen the only options available are bus or train. I'm concerned this would be a little too much for my DS to try straight away so would probably need to drive in (however I also have another child to take to primary school in opposite direction!) Has anyone else had experience of driving in/ or travels from my area/ or experience of their own children travelling in by bus/train? Would love to hear your thoughts
Tinkers

Re: Reading School Transport Wargrave/Twyford Direction

Post by Tinkers »

A lot of children travel to Reading and Kendrick by train. I'd guess there would be a fair few from Twyford.

Have a look yourself at the train station one morning to see. Driving in and out of Reading can be a bit of a nightmare and if you have other children to take to school, possibly not doable.

They seem little when in year 6, but trust me, they soon get the hang of public transport. My daughter navigates herself to the other side of Reading on the buses, even if she needs to change buses in town and use a route she has never used before. He will be fine.

Over the summer do a few practise runs so he is confident about where to go.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Florrie wrote:Hello,
I wonder if anyone has advice or experience of transport to Reading school. We live in the Wargrave/Twyford area and from what I have seen the only options available are bus or train. I'm concerned this would be a little too much for my DS to try straight away so would probably need to drive in (however I also have another child to take to primary school in opposite direction!) Has anyone else had experience of driving in/ or travels from my area/ or experience of their own children travelling in by bus/train? Would love to hear your thoughts
As a Year 7 Reading School parent, I would like to share some experience that we are seeing among us. Most of the parents did (either Kendrick or Reading school) a few dry runs on the expected travel route during summer holidays time (we didn't do that though). But then once the school started, some parents accompanied the kids on the way to school and back for first few days. That ironed out mistakes like getting down in the wrong bus stop etc.

I would suggest that if your DC is going to take the train eventually then kindly travel with him atleast once in that route once the school starts to get the actual feel of the route (as during summer the transports are much quieter as you can appreciate).

I fully agree with Tinkers, though in Year 6 the kids are a bit immature but once they start travelling in the public transport, they very quickly get the hang of it and then become very comfortable in it. They get to chat with friends also on the way to school and back and this they just love. :)
Florrie

Post by Florrie »

Thanks for your help Tinkers and indiemom, I think a few trial runs will be in order. We don't know anyone else who has passed in his area so if anyone lives in Wargrave/Twyford area who reads this, please do get in touch as it would be useful for him to have a buddy to travel with.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now