Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummum

Help

Post by mummum »

Please advise the exact pattern for Maths, English, VR, NVR in the entrance exam of RGS. Probably the parents whose boys have given exam this NOV will be able to help me.
My son will be giving his exam in Nov 2008. He started practising ques papers since Sept this year. He does 1 sample paper every day. So over 4 days he covers 1 sample paper per subject. Is that enough or needs to do more.
Any practical tips/suggestions are welcome. Many thanks.
stevew61

Re: Help

Post by stevew61 »

mummum wrote:He does 1 sample paper every day. So over 4 days he covers 1 sample paper per subject. Is that enough or needs to do more.
Hi mummum,

If you keep that rate up then by November 2008 he will have completed hundreds of papers. :shock:

Would suggest you look at area's where he scores lowest and try to improve. Plenty of time for reading and developing vocab. Try to keep it fun you don't want to burn him out or demotivate him. Little and often also do some work on exam technique and timings. As to content here is 2006, 2007 is still under wraps as there may be late sitters.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1687

As you maybe here for the next year why not register, you will get email alerts of replies and sometimes more detailed info. by private message.

Reading is a tough exam four papers in one go the key is doing it on the day and being strong on English, IMHO.

Good luck.

stevew61
Bewildered

Re: Help

Post by Bewildered »

mummum wrote:Please advise the exact pattern for Maths, English, VR, NVR in the entrance exam of RGS. Probably the parents whose boys have given exam this NOV will be able to help me.
My son will be giving his exam in Nov 2008. He started practising ques papers since Sept this year. He does 1 sample paper every day. So over 4 days he covers 1 sample paper per subject. Is that enough or needs to do more.
Any practical tips/suggestions are welcome. Many thanks.
Whoa! Too much. I'd say. Best to do a practise paper in each, then concentrate on strengthening areas where he has got questions incorrect.
When confidence has built up re-do some more papers. Re-assess, and strenghten.
Would leave off doing constant papers until basics are a solid foundation. Start the papers after Christmas, or could lead to overload!

Completely agree with stevew61's post above.

HTH

BW
lakshminarra

Post by lakshminarra »

I have just registered, Thanks. If I use Bond 11+ how to do .... m,e, nvr etc, does that cover all the topics. Can i feel confident that as long as he practises topics from these books, he stands a good chance or he needs to look at NFER, CGP, Letts as well for wider variety of ques.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

lakshminarra wrote:use Bond 11+ how to do .... m,e, nvr etc, does that cover all the topics. Can i feel confident that as long as he practises topics from these books, he stands a good chance or he needs to look at NFER, CGP, Letts as well for wider variety of ques.
Would look at IPS how to do VR or the free how to do VR on this site.

Also look at the e-papers on this site and the download/CDs can be fun.

In 2006 there was a non-std NFER multi-choice question type, odd one out from five? we glanced thru some standard question types just prepare for the unexpected ( note anagrams can not meaningfully be translated into multi choice :D )

English most papers have one big comprehension, Reading 2006 had three or four short comps followed by usual sections. A tough 65 questions in all. Bit like a multi choice KS2 mixed with NFER grammar/spelling/best word?

You are on the right track and probably ahead of the competition. :D Taking one step back have you applied the "is this the right school for my child test". Hard to know really? I was not sure for a long time. :oops:

stevew61

Post by Guest »

Is there a questionnaire available anywhere for "is this the right school for my child test".
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Anonymous wrote:Is there a questionnaire available anywhere for "is this the right school for my child test".
We all have different circumstances and children. Here is a guide. How you weight the factors is down to you. :)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school_selection.php

stevew61
kendrick mum?

help

Post by kendrick mum? »

to Lakshminara

The way we approached entrance exam.

1. After speaking to the schools( approx 2 years ago now) they advised that your child needs no other preparation apart from what they were doing in school and looking at the familiarisation papers.
2. we asked my dd's teacher for national syllabus or topics they would be covering in year 5 and year6 . She obliged and we took the maths and English components to see what was required and covered by the school. we took this topic by topic and by the end of may were able to cover all of this ( We think) We used aepublications in fact asked them which of their books would help and also trawled whsmith and other book shops which covered these topics . Our aim was to try and get her to level 6 in maths. She already was in excess of 5yrs plus actual age for reading, and loved english, natural speller etc ( so were not too worried in this respect)

3. we also looked at finding her a tutor but just couldn't find one we would have confidence in that had a proven track record- perhaps unlucky i dont know.

4. There didn't seem to be many other options in Reading apart from something available in a large supermarket- not impressed with what they intended to cover and had to offer. waited outside class that was being taken to talk to other parents going with them for 11+, who again were not particularly happy with progress- so gave them a miss.

5. Used a company in slough - for part of their process- good because it showed dd what other people were doing- did mock exam etc. may have used them more if known about earlier.but they were only working for slough exams.

I do feel though that can do it yourself totally or partly and it just seems that even if you spend a small amount of timeeach week it makes a massive difference at school. Dont know why ?- just got impression dd had coasted along all this time and was capable of a lot more work at school -was not challenging her.

Good luck to you and your son lakshminara I'm afraid the jury is out on how well or otherwise we did in preparing for the exam.

Kendrick mum?

Post by Guest »

This is a message for Stevew61 from mum.

for some reason cant login to the forum from my workplace PC. Would soon sent you some info over the weekend.

Going through all the post-exam posts, trying to enjoy the moments till March with a positive hope in mind. Dont know whats going to come on 3rd March. Really hoping the best for everybody's children in this forum who all appeared for Kendrick & Reading Boys. :D

thanks,

mum
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Mum,

Thanks for trying. Look forward to receiving it later. Long wait till March 2008. :roll:

stevew61