Anyone fancy a 2016 support thread for Berkshire CEM?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
The Preppy Mama

Re: Anyone fancy a 2016 support thread for Berkshire CEM?

Post by The Preppy Mama »

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. It is great source of information and thank you everyone for sharing.

My DD is in year 5 and we are preparing for 11+ slowly from year 3.
Started to panic and feeling as you, Emma2312, not doing enough.

Verbal Reasoning seems to be the hardest one for DD. I am worrying and regretting for not getting the tutor.

Questioning myself everyday, can she do it?
poppy2006

Post by poppy2006 »

hi
am new to this post..its my first post..
my dd is in yr 5 and writting 11+ test in this sept sitting for berkshire.
so far my dd attended a mock n reslut is nt soo bad as she needs lil more push but struggling to achive 80% as my dd works hard..she is july born baby dont know how to help her with VA...we are concentrating only on CEM..
semb

Post by semb »

Hi all

Very hard to keep motivation up in the nice weather....

For us the issue is timing. Dd's accuracy is pretty good, but there seems to be no way she can get all questions answered in the time given. (Although this could be partly due to her having a mini meltdown every time I try to get her to do questions under timed conditions!) If I try to sit with her and guide her to move on if she is taking too long over a question she then tells me I've put her off!

Sigh...there must be a better way! Sending fellow parents sympathy!
sandra

Post by sandra »

I can see threads about mock exams here. My DS will be sitting 11+ this Sept - targeting Reading Boys plus Slough schools, can someone suggest a 11+ mock test he can take and how to book?

Also, what is the probability of getting into Herschel grammar school (distance wise) from Reading?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I know of Reading posters this year who have got a place at Herschel, although I'm not sure about the journey to school. There's been a rumour that they are considering setting up a bus service.
Of course there's no guarantee that students in Reaidng would get places in the future.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

If you are sitting the Reading exam there is a tickybox to allow the score to be "shared" with Slough as the paper is the same, they process it differently in each area because the cohort of kids taking it is different. So if you tick the box then wait and see they will put both results into the two varients and you'll get two different scores out. It's quite a journey though even if you are v close to the train/bus routes...

We're in Slough so I've just registered my DD for Slough and Bucks (Burnham Grammar is on the Paddington line so not as crackers as it may sound). There's no way I'd go for a huge commute to the Reading or Wycombe/North Bucks schools on a daily basis though, it's just so far.

We're just going gently on with a bit here and there. It's hard DIYing because there's always other stuff to do. But I think those above who said the timing is tricky, that seems to come across again and again with CEM. If everyone else finds the timing tough, it is at least a cohort exam. They don't have to get every answer right, just answer more than the other kids do (grim, but that's the way it works). So if everyone encouraged five or ten relative underachievers to sit the test, more of the DIY cohort would pass <totally joking, but that's how the truly dedicated could game the system...>
emma2312

Post by emma2312 »

Aethel

I like your way of thinking!! :lol: :wink:
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

This weekend's preparation involved going through some of the antonym/synonyms pists in a book by Christine Draper that we found on Amazon, and buying a copy of the game "bananagrams"....

Some of DD's friends claim to be doing 2 hours a night on tutor sheets but I honestly can't face making her miss out on more "normal" activities. Practice by stealth it is!...
sandra

Post by sandra »

Aethel, Can your DC sit the Bucks exams even if you are based in Slough? I thought you need to be in Bucks to be eligible?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

As far as I know there are no restrictions on sting the Bucks test, however you would be wise to look at the allocations profiles (they are in the Bucks section of this forum) to see if you actually have a realistic chance of getting a place at a school your child can realistically travel to.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now