Slough School March 2016 Allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Osho

Re: Slough School March 2016 Allocations

Post by Osho »

scary mum wrote:
I strongly believe that all Grammar schools in Slough should be open to all irrespective of catchment but only on basis of the score in 11+ exams
Why on earth would that be a good idea? You would just end up with a super selective school needing very high marks, with children being shipped in from miles around. I understand that there is/will be a shortage of school places in Slough. No catchment would make it worse.
Hi Scary Mum,
I appreciate your concern and think it is fair. But would it not be good then for all grammar schools in slough to have uniform policy with regards to inner and general catchment area admissions. This will then surely discourage the children from miles away being shipped to these schools. In that way, the slough kids will have more chances in these schools, but will these schools be able to retain or hang on to their reputation of having top class students attaining best scores in GCSE and A levels.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

I kinda agree with ScaryMum on this.

Surely Slough Grammars should try and priorise local dc and then look at the wider area?

A lady who works with my dh views the Slough Grammars as her "local" school, even though she's over in Ealing!
This can't be good for their local schools/ sense of community.

I am aware that when you have a really bright kid you want them to go to a school that will push them and get the best out of them. We are guilty of that <g> which is why our dd will be going to St Bernard's from September. But the only tutoring she had was at home - I bought the books and we worked through them. (I am now using those books with my ds who's in year 4, so deffo not wasted money :) ).

Looking at Langley - surely by having a local and general admissions catchment, they are likely to have less traffic outside the school gates (that road is quite narrow as it is!). Also a greater sense of community spirit.

I know there probably isn't an easy solution to this :)
parents

Post by parents »

I kinda agree with ScaryMum on this.

As a parents we should read the school policy carefully,once accepted /applied . we should not blame latter .

If we don't like catchment policy , their are lot of schools which gives admission irrespective of catchment (with different system), we can apply for such schools .

Like scary mum said one more example , every school has a policy for some purpose .
parents

Post by parents »

Osho wrote:Hi everyone,
I strongly believe that all Grammar schools in Slough should be open to all irrespective of catchment but only on basis of the score in 11+ exams.
Nevertheless,we got Herschel which was our second choice, but now thinking and analyzing i realise we are quite fortunate to get Herschel. Whatever happens,\happens for good.
Thanks
Osho ,
Have you read the policy of school before applying ?
Did you know there are schools exists with selection process irrespective of catchment ?
Did you know not all schools in England has same policy ?
parents

Post by parents »

I too Agree with you hel_tcw
Osho

Post by Osho »

Good day Parents,
i read your viewpoint and this forum is about healthy discussions being encouraged rather than outbursts.
I hope your DC get or got admission to their choice of schools which is of course what every parent strives for.
In any walk of life , in order to excel we need competition, a level playing field for all. Do Oxbridge or other Uni have a catchment area??. Does QE boys or HBS have catchment area??. These schools are the best in UK, simply because they invite the most competitive DC into their folds, irrespective of catchment.
Instead of relying solely on catchment area, parents should encourage the child to be more competitive, up their game, devote more time in teaching and working with them so that these kids perform their best and compete with their peers.
If some Grammar school like prefers only Local catchment children then it becomes more of a local school. If all the grammar schools just keep admissions strictly to local area then the slope of achievements will be on a downward trend of course. Moreover , in local area there will be more secondary schools which will be good , then who will study in them if all local kids go to local grammar schools. It means again the parents will moan that they live just outside the gates of grammar school , hence they should have first preference than someone who lives 50 meters away.
Well, i have put forth my viewpoint and i dont mean to offend anyones viewpoint.
Have a Good day.
anxiousp

Post by anxiousp »

Well written
Osho wrote:Good day Parents,
i read your viewpoint and this forum is about healthy discussions being encouraged rather than outbursts.
I hope your DC get or got admission to their choice of schools which is of course what every parent strives for.
In any walk of life , in order to excel we need competition, a level playing field for all. Do Oxbridge or other Uni have a catchment area??. Does QE boys or HBS have catchment area??. These schools are the best in UK, simply because they invite the most competitive DC into their folds, irrespective of catchment.
Instead of relying solely on catchment area, parents should encourage the child to be more competitive, up their game, devote more time in teaching and working with them so that these kids perform their best and compete with their peers.
If some Grammar school like prefers only Local catchment children then it becomes more of a local school. If all the grammar schools just keep admissions strictly to local area then the slope of achievements will be on a downward trend of course. Moreover , in local area there will be more secondary schools which will be good , then who will study in them if all local kids go to local grammar schools. It means again the parents will moan that they live just outside the gates of grammar school , hence they should have first preference than someone who lives 50 meters away.
Well, i have put forth my viewpoint and i dont mean to offend anyones viewpoint.
Have a Good day.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Actually I thought it was for parents to support each other and offer advice through the process, not provide free transport and accommodation consultancy or explain applications procedures to people who appear not to have discovered google yet post offer, but if you look at the forum at the moment, that is what is being asked for constantly.
Osho wrote: These schools are the best in UK, simply because they invite the most competitive DC into their folds, irrespective of catchment.
Only if you define best school in terms of academic outputs, as opposed to teaching, soft skills etc. Not that these schools are necessarily bad at that but it is hardly an achievement to get a bunch of really bright kids to get really good grades and there is no evidence to suggest that those kids would not have got equally good grades elsewhere.
Osho wrote:...parents should encourage the child to be more competitive, up their game, devote more time in teaching and working with them so that these kids perform their best and compete with their peers.
Couldn't disagree more. I spend the majority of my time interviewing graduates and it is those who are unable to demonstrate soft skills, particularly in team working and leadership coupled with a blinkered disregard for wider perspectives who struggle. Along with those who have had to work so hard to get there that they have not been able to demonstrate contributing/participating in anyway outside academia.
Osho wrote:If some Grammar school like prefers only Local catchment children then it becomes more of a local school. If all the grammar schools just keep admissions strictly to local area then the slope of achievements will be on a downward trend of course. Moreover , in local area there will be more secondary schools which will be good , then who will study in them if all local kids go to local grammar schools. It means again the parents will moan that they live just outside the gates of grammar school , hence they should have first preference than someone who lives 50 meters away.
Indeed, there is no panacea, unless all schools are 'good'
Osho wrote:Well, i have put forth my viewpoint and i dont mean to offend anyones viewpoint.
Have a Good day.
Likewsise :)
mad?
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

A "well written" from me too, I completely agree :D
mad? wrote:
Actually I thought it was for parents to support each other and offer advice through the process, not provide free transport and accommodation consultancy or explain applications procedures to people who appear not to have discovered google yet post offer, but if you look at the forum at the moment, that is what is being asked for constantly.
Osho wrote: These schools are the best in UK, simply because they invite the most competitive DC into their folds, irrespective of catchment.
Only if you define best school in terms of academic outputs, as opposed to teaching, soft skills etc. Not that these schools are necessarily bad at that but it is hardly an achievement to get a bunch of really bright kids to get really good grades and there is no evidence to suggest that those kids would not have got equally good grades elsewhere.
Osho wrote:...parents should encourage the child to be more competitive, up their game, devote more time in teaching and working with them so that these kids perform their best and compete with their peers.
Couldn't disagree more. I spend the majority of my time interviewing graduates and it is those who are unable to demonstrate soft skills, particularly in team working and leadership coupled with a blinkered disregard for wider perspectives who struggle. Along with those who have had to work so hard to get there that they have not been able to demonstrate contributing/participating in anyway outside academia.
Osho wrote:If some Grammar school like prefers only Local catchment children then it becomes more of a local school. If all the grammar schools just keep admissions strictly to local area then the slope of achievements will be on a downward trend of course. Moreover , in local area there will be more secondary schools which will be good , then who will study in them if all local kids go to local grammar schools. It means again the parents will moan that they live just outside the gates of grammar school , hence they should have first preference than someone who lives 50 meters away.
Indeed, there is no panacea, unless all schools are 'good'
Osho wrote:Well, i have put forth my viewpoint and i dont mean to offend anyones viewpoint.
Have a Good day.
Likewsise :)
parents

Post by parents »

"well written" , I completely agree with mad? .