Travel Options to Kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Joyce27

Travel Options to Kendrick

Post by Joyce27 »

Hi All, I wonder if anyone has advice or experience of transport to Kendrick school. We live in the Bracknell area and from what I have seen the only options available are bus or train. I'm concerned this would be a little too much for my DD to try straight away so would probably need to drive in. Has anyone else had experience of driving in/ or travels from my area/ or experience of their own children travelling in by bus/train? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Tinkers

Re: Travel Options to Kendrick

Post by Tinkers »

Well done to your DD.

Lots of girls travel by train. It is a straight forward route. The older girls look out for 'newbies' as well in the first few weeks.

One of the older girls once said to us that if a girl got lost on the way from the station to the school it would be some sort of record. You just follow the girls with red jumpers!

Your DD will be fine on the train, honestly. By half term you'll wonder what you were worried about. There are likely to be loads of other Kendrick girls on there. Check for yourself one morning.

Thing to do before hand is do a few practise runs beforehand.

Given that in a recent poll (I'll see if I can find the link) London road is one of the slowest roads in Berkshire(?!) so you don't want to be driving in if you can avoid it. If you still feel you need to then find a place further out that your DD can walk from to allow you easier access in and out of Reading.

Eta I found it
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... g-10898755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joyce27

Post by Joyce27 »

Thank you Tinkers - I think I am just being an over anxious mother :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Just to add you might also look at the 4 and X4 Lion buses. One of DDs friends sometimes uses it from Wokingham. Probably takes longer than the train but is a good back up.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

to echo what Tinkers said - don't drive!
There are enough girls coming from Bracknell that she won't be on her own on the train. If it makes you feel more comfortable then accompany her on the train - I have seen a few parents doing that but it usually drops off by day 3.
Then follow the red (and green for Abbey) jumpers to school.

Congratulations to your daughter
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now