Moving out of catchment area of SWBS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mu81

Moving out of catchment area of SWBS

Post by mu81 »

We are currently in a very big dilemma. We are located in Maidenhead and are in the catchment area of Sir Willian Borlase School (about 5.6 miles distance from this school). Our DS is currently in Yr4 and soon we'll be starting 11+ preparation for grammar schools. From our current location we have options to apply for - Reading Boys School or Slough grammar schools or Sir William Borlase in Marlow. Our first choice definitely would be Reading Boys, second SWBS and then slough schools, if DS qualifies.

We are currently in the process of buying our first house (in Maidenhead only and is almost at the last stage of exchanging contracts), which is slightly out of the catchment of SWBS (about 6.1 miles distance from this school), we recently came to know about this :(. If we choose to go for this new house, we would have very less chance of having SWBS option for our DS. Hence we are thinking whether we should back-out our new house decision?

Knowing this year's intake for SWBS was just within 3.3miles, we are wondering is it really worth backing out the decision of moving to new house? OR are we doing a big mistake by moving slightly out of catchment area of SWBS at this crucial stage of trying for a grammar school?

Anyone went through similar situation?
All advices/suggestions are most welcome and would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
M
rashminder12

Re: Moving out of catchment area of SWBS

Post by rashminder12 »

Hi mu81

Just seen your another thread about SWBS. As I said before we are in same boat. I am also looking for moving house in the area where I should be catchment of Reading, Sloygh schools and SWBS.

It's very difficult for you to choose one side but as I am in same dilemma as well to where to move to get right school for my DS, I think if you are in catchment of SWBS then you should try to secure it as your back up plan.

Rest I know it's not easy to make decision. All the best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now