Bucks v Berks scoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stumpysmiler

Bucks v Berks scoring

Post by stumpysmiler »

Also posted this in Bucks forum:

Bit late in the day to ask this but we're right on the Bucks/Berks border in Maidenhead. OOC for Bucks schools so DS not taking the exam today, but many of his school friends are. DS taking it at Reading Boys on Saturday.

I'm trying to understand how the marking works between the two regions because I know the boys will end up talking scores!!

Bucks: pass mark is 121. What is the paper out of, heard in the past max score was 141 but that changes. Also heard that they take the top 30% as passed.

Berks: Reading Boys take 128 day boys and looking at last years offers they went from 129 to around 111. How does this equate to Bucks pass of 121?

Am I missing something?

And can you shed some light on how the "standardisation" works or is that some secret method? DS is June and I get fed up with other parents sneering and saying that it's not fair that he'll get extra marks compared to their Sept/Oct child!

TIA - and good luck to all your children today
Guest55

Re: Bucks v Berks scoring

Post by Guest55 »

How can you apply for a Bucks GS place if you aren't taking the Bucks Transfer Test?
stumpysmiler

Post by stumpysmiler »

We're not, we're out of catchment by a mile, so DS not sitting and we're not applying. DS sitting Berks only (we're in catchment for Reading Boys)

But, some of his school friends are sitting Bucks (and some both Bucks & Berks :x ) and I know come October when they get their results they will be talking about it. So I'd like to understand the difference in the scoring. He's bright and expected to do well and I know they will compare but if there is a difference in the way the exams are marked, it will be difficult to explain to a 10 yr old that you actually "can't compare" because of said differences. At least if I know the differences myself then I can explain it to him.

Edited to add: I can't get my head around - Bucks pass = 121, yet Reading Boys gave places to 111
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are different exams with a different cohort and different standardisation. The '121' is set to select the top third who sit and the score above that is irrelevant. Other 11+ test are standardised with, often, a mean of 100 and a sd of 15 - a very different process.

It's like comparing oranges with bananas - which is better?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

OP, slightly off topic but why didn't apply for Bucks testing? I'm in North Maidenhead (in the catchment for SWBGS) and my DS is sitting both exams :?
stumpysmiler

Post by stumpysmiler »

Thanks Guest55 - I was hoping it was more green or red apples and there was something to equate to :)

Blueberry - We're West Maidenhead, South of the A4 - I analysed all the data I could find from previous years re distances and JH came as close as a street away one year. SWBGS nowhere near. RGS (which would be the one we would have applied had we thought we had a chance), the furthest ever something like 7.9 and we are 9.2. This year is a bumper year for birth rate so I suspect that all catchments are shrinking.

I initially registered DS prior to the research but it became clear we are "just" outside, and rather than skew the scores for the Bucks children, I thought it right to withdraw. Reading lots of discussions around this forum help me make what I think is the correct decision. Yes I feel it's slightly disadvantaged DS as he isn't having a "practice run" today, but he's also disadvantaged because I haven't made him do 7 hrs daily 11+ work over summer. But I'm glad to be that mum :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well done for reflecting on the distances and not putting your child through the test for nothing :D

I wish there were more sensible parents like you out there.
Amber

Post by Amber »

stumpysmiler wrote:Thanks Guest55 - I was hoping it was more green or red apples and there was something to equate to :)

Blueberry - We're West Maidenhead, South of the A4 - I analysed all the data I could find from previous years re distances and JH came as close as a street away one year. SWBGS nowhere near. RGS (which would be the one we would have applied had we thought we had a chance), the furthest ever something like 7.9 and we are 9.2. This year is a bumper year for birth rate so I suspect that all catchments are shrinking.

I initially registered DS prior to the research but it became clear we are "just" outside, and rather than skew the scores for the Bucks children, I thought it right to withdraw. Reading lots of discussions around this forum help me make what I think is the correct decision. Yes I feel it's slightly disadvantaged DS as he isn't having a "practice run" today, but he's also disadvantaged because I haven't made him do 7 hrs daily 11+ work over summer. But I'm glad to be that mum :D
How utterly refreshing to read. What a lucky little boy to have you as his mum!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

+1
Here is some information about standardisation. Whatever the school gate mums tell you you can't really compare the two exams. It's like comparing apples with pears, not green apples with red!
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

stumpysmiler, how lovely to read your post. It's a shame that there aren't more parents that think like you do. I know of at least 5 boys from Reading and Wokingham who are sitting the same test as my DS today and they really believe that they can get into a Buck GS :?

Although I am in Maidenhead, I'm hoping for DS to pass the test and gain a Bucks GS place. We are in the catchment for SWBGS and around 6miles from John Hampden. Hopefully we can get in as out of catchment.

And yes, I'm also the type of parent that didn't make my DS do 5-6hrs + of work over the summer holidays. But listening to the parents chatting in the queue makes me wish that I did....... only kidding!