Langley Grammer-Local and General admission Areas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vijayboothnath

Re: Langley Grammer-Local and General admission Areas

Post by vijayboothnath »

Wildman no - however he mentioned that if we give a call to the school after the results are out they might give an indication of if DS has a chance.
But disclaimer was its only an indication and not by any means a guarantee.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

You just won't be able to tell, I'm afraid as it totally depends upon how many local children have entered this year, and how many of those pass.

The "natural limit" that Langley estimate is simply because not that many local children are successful: there are a few pushy/privileged demographic schools where a far higher proporrtion of children are entered: some schools are "buddied" with the grammars and actively encourage entrants: but other schools have no enthusiasm at all for the process and far fewer students opt-in. The pass rate for slough children is less than 20% becasuse the out of area entrants are more intensively prepared (or the brightest of the bright, take your pick).

As far as I can tell from the open evening info, The change has occurred not just because of Slough funding issues, but because of pressure from local parents and teachers who felt that local children were being edged out by large numbers of well-out-of-area candidates who either travelled huge distances (Twickenham to Langley??) or simply out-scored the local children by miles. So they wanted to find a way to redress the balance and appease the parents from the higher-performing local primaries who felt the system should favour them as local residents.
wildman

Post by wildman »

Thanks Aethel. I guess I'm trying to estimate what is the likely % split between Local and General admissions. It seems that the school does not have a clear idea or is not prepared to share it. Which is a shame as it would be good to know if a child in the General admissions area has a 1 in 60 or 100 or 120 chance.....
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

I suspect the school does not yet know how many pupils have sat the test, how many will have passed, and which of those come from local areas.

Remember the whole Slough consortium has a seperate exam-organiser role and is not the same as the actual schools themselves: it runs as an entity in consultation with the schools but until the marks are released to everyone it won't be possible to know how many parents will then put LGS on their CAF form... It's a long wait I'm afraid!!
dmaz

Post by dmaz »

We are in Watford and outside General area? Is is worth applying for Langley Grammar of course depending upon the score?
vijayboothnath

Post by vijayboothnath »

dmaz wrote:We are in Watford and outside General area? Is is worth applying for Langley Grammar of course depending upon the score?
During the open evening, the head teacher said if you are outside general area its not worth applying as there is no chance of getting
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

dmaz wrote:We are in Watford and outside General area? Is is worth applying for Langley Grammar of course depending upon the score?
Watford to Slough?? Have you seen the M25 in that direction in the morning?
scary mum
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Wow! Good luck in travelling twice a day on the M25 then :shock: :shock: :shock:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BlueBerry wrote:
Wow! Good luck in travelling twice a day on the M25 then :shock: :shock: :shock:
Google maps seems to think you can do it with two buses and minimal walking in just under 90 minutes. Haven't checked Rome2Rio.I but if the site is on its usual form, it will probably claim that it has found a way of doing it in about 15...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Watford to Langley would be absolutely awful for your poor child. Don't do it.

Also, there is no way they'd get a place outside the general cachement as the general cachement is enormous, they have over 12 applicants per place, and according to the school they haven't had an out-of-cachement place awarded for over ten years.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now