Kendrick parents - Year 8 Information Evening 6th Oct

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Kendrick parents - Year 8 Information Evening 6th Oct

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Pat Pending...what a superb response! It so fits in with my beliefs - and, yes, everyone can afford to give something - if not money then a couple of hours of time helping at an event, or a baked cake etc.

Fundraising in schools is essential, and it is hard work. Some people don't just vent their spleen on forums, they are actually rude and insulting to people who are trying to help - often volunteers, so you are absolutely right that is is rotten for the person doing the asking. I help a bit at my school and it is always interesting when new people arrive to help how unaware they are of how small the official budget is - their eyes widen and they have an instant respect for the role - with fundraising we do marvellous things however, without it the bit I help with would barely function. That is fact.

In the same way I believe that all children should be required to do some form of voluntary work in a service role, maybe all parents should be required to do a stint in fundraising for schools so that they are more aware of the role from the other side. Even just coming along to support an event helps.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think schools are very bad at explaining the funding issues and, let's be honest, some are not good at budgeting and have huge reserves. Schools should be publishing accounts on their websites so it is easy to see how careful they are with our money.

I think it's wrong to make parents feel guilty about not giving money - giving time is just as important. I think asking for specific amounts is also wrong - some parents won't even miss £200 and to others that is their budget gone.

Some aspects of funding have to be spent on fabric and that is not always clear to parents either. Seeing it from both sides in different schools is an eye opener - some schools 'cry wolf' far too frequently.
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

I'm sorry to persist with "how poor Kendrick" is, but the chat amongst some girls this term is about how hockey is no longer on the PE curriculum. They've been told that it's down to a lack of both time and money: they have to hire a coach to take them to Reading Uni's astro pitch. There's apparently not enough time nor money in the budget to justify continuing with this sport.

Ok, on a positive slant it's an opportunity to take up a new sport (volleyball is the replacement sport). But in reality, would the curriculum be changed and savings made, if the school was swimming in cash?

The girls are bitterly disappointed.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Hockey has changed to indoor - my DD has indoor hockey today period 3. She is disappointed that the after school club is also indoor now though. I would have been OK with a fee to keep the club using the astro if I had been asked.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I didn't know about Hockey as DD doesn't do it anymore (and so won't miss it personally).

However like you RM, if she was into hockey I would have happily paid a contribution for the after school Hockey to allow it to continue as before.

I used to do a lot of sport at school and we always had to pay towards the cost of the minibus for away matches. Wasn't hoards (50p or there abouts) and those who couldn't pay were excused. It was done in such a way that it wasn't obvious to,everyone else who was paying and not thankfully, as I was in that position for a while.