Living at Maidenhead & Reading School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry

Living at Maidenhead & Reading School

Post by BlueBerry »

Hi, are there many children who live in Maidenhead & travel to Reading School? My friend's little boy is hoping to go there in September 2017 (&my son in 2018!). Her DS will be travelling by train but I was wondering whether there is such a thing as a private car share going on from the railway station to school and then back to the station. She says that he will walk to school.... but it's a 30mins walk and it must be horrid to do in the dark winter nights - I wouldn't like my DS to do this!
Orange11

Re: Living at Maidenhead & Reading School

Post by Orange11 »

There is an option to catch bus from reading station to reading school, if needed. But walking to school or using bus may take same time of around minimum 20-25 mins.
Other option is car pool either from maidenhead or reading station to reading school. School may be able to share information if any of the DS's are travelling from maidenhead.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I'm not sure about the 'dark winter nights' surely it's just the 'dark winter same time as they are doing the walk in the spring, summer and autumn'? Or does Reading have later finishing times after the October half term?

As the parent of three DC who have made the transition to secondary school (one now in what one might call 'year 15' and living 160+ miles away from home), I appreciate that it can be difficult to imagine your 'little boy' doing big, grown-up things like finding his way from A to B without you. But they do (at least should) grow up fast once they have made the leap over the primary / secondary divide and the best thing we can do for them is to make sure that they are ready for that independence, part of this being to make absolutely sure that they how to cross roads safely. And where to go for help, should they need it (so yes, actually learning to talk to 'strangers', rather than seeing every new person as a threat to their safety :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The bus route that goes closest is the 19, and to be honest it isn't the most reliable of routes. Alternatively, any bus that goes along London road.
http://www.reading-buses.co.uk/files/ma ... %20map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However neither really help that much TBH.
Seriously, hoards of boys will be walking from the rail/bus station every day. If parents have an issue with that, then perhaps it isn't the school to send their DS to.

There will probably be a few travelling form Maidenhead everyday, along with Kendrick girls. An early morning visit to the train station during term time will give an indication of just how many.

TM is correct, year 7s grow up and adapt very quickly. After all they are all supposed to be intelligent.

Living near Reading, I avoid driving in like the plague. We have driven DD to school twice, in just over three years, both times because she had to be at school especially early for a school trip.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks Orange, I'll contact the school if my DS get a place.

Toadmum, ahhh I suspect that you are absolutely right! I really need to let go of my son & let him grow up a bit. I've now stopped dropping him off at school playground. Now I let him walk down from the school gate to the playground all by himself.... that's progress, :wink: right?

Thanks Tinkers, I'll try popping into the station sometime. I'm pretty sure that my DS will be fine and will love the independence... but I'm guessing that I will find harder to adapt.
Last edited by BlueBerry on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BlueBerry wrote:Thanks Orange, I'll contact the school if my DS get a place.

Toadmum, ahhh I suspect that you are absolutely right! I really need to let go of my son & let him grow up a bit. I've now stopped dropping him off at school playground. I now let him walk down from the school gate to the playground.... that's progress, :wink: right?

Thanks Tinkers, I'll try popping into the station sometime. I'm pretty sure that my DS is will be fine and will love the independence... but I'm guessing that I will find harder to adapt.
Give it a few days and you will wonder how you ever coped with the lack of freedom (and so will your DS, probably) :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Maybe Toadmum..... Bear in mind that I've got a toddler, it'll be a long while before I ever get my freedom back!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now