Reading Boys Vs Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Orange11

Reading Boys Vs Wilsons

Post by Orange11 »

We will be relocating wherever DS gets offer. We are not able to decide on between Readings boys (within catchment) and Wilsons as first preference.

After quick glance through performance indicators both schools look equally promising.

Can someone please suggest any considerable differences between these two schools?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Reading Boys Vs Wilsons

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Which did you prefer when you looked round? As you have decided that the performance indicators look about the same (as they often do), it has to come down to the school you preferred when you investigated them before taking the test and which one was a better "fit" for your son and his interests. Put that one first.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you which of these schools is better for your DS because we don't know him as well as you do :D

If you're finding it hard to choose between the schools because they are both very good, then what about the other factors that would affect a relocation? Do you have any other children to consider, for example? What about your own commutes and transport facilities - is one area better than the other? Are there any particular hobbies or interests that any of your family have that would be easier to pursue in one of the areas? Do you have any family or friends already in either of the places?

Moving is such a huge upheaval - school is only one part of it.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Were you in catchment for Reading when you applied for the test? (Wasn't sure what you meant, sorry)

If you are in catchment then apply to Reading. I guess you would be moving to be closer and so DS has an easier journey to school. :D
If not then there is no point applying as you will still be counted as being ooc.
Orange11

Post by Orange11 »

Thanks for your instant response. Yes, you are spot on ... we did consider other factors before and were kind of inclined towards reading boys even before the exams. We missed the open evenings for both which made it more challenging. But going through school history, forums and an attempt to touring the school location/nearby areas also gave thumps up to reading boys.

Tinkers - Yes we were in catchment when applied to reading test and will move near to school if offered a place. Agree with your suggestion, thanks!
danny11

Post by danny11 »

Hi, I am not expert on this, but I think you should also look at the cut off mark for both schools for previous years and make sure your DS got a high chance to have a place at the school you will list as your first choice. Good luck
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Unfortunately we are not given the scores for Wilsons - just a pass or a not pass - so we don't know where our DSes are ranked for that school. Hopefully they won't have passed many more boys than they need to fill their PAN but there are likely to be some who pass but aren't offered a place.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If you know your score should get you a place at Reading, but have no idea if you will get a place at Wilsons, it seems a bit of a no brainer.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Depends. I assume the OP isn't planning to move until after the offers come out - in which case, she might well find that she's got a place at Wilsons if she put it first, and then she has a few months to move before school starts.

If she's planning to move before March, and moves to near Wilsons, she would be at risk of her DS then not getting a place.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

What I did not understand is how the OP can apply for a school in Reading and one in Croydon?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now