Boarding at Reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry

Boarding at Reading

Post by BlueBerry »

DH has just been offered a fantastic overseas opportunity, and he's considering taking the job. It's only a 2 year contract though. How does the boarding at Reading works? Can those out of catchment apply for boarding places? What would happen when we come back in 2 years and want our DS to be a day boy? Would he have to move school or will they try and move him across?

My friend has offered to have him stay with her in Maidenhead & her DS will be applying at the same time as mine. But I think I prefer the idea of boarding and then my family can have him at the weekends.
Tinkers

Re: Boarding at Reading

Post by Tinkers »

See here for admissions for Reading school. Boarders section at the end.

http://www.reading-school.co.uk/uploads ... n-2017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect they wouldn't want to lose the income stream of a boarder going to having a day place, but probably worth asking.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I've known two boarders who asked to switch to day school only both were refused.

One left and returned home to the USA, the other reduced his boarding nights but still had to pay full boarding fees.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I wonder if it is "easier" to get a boarding place? In which case, I am sure the school would be anti boys moving from boarding to day, not just for financial reasons to the school, but also to dissuade people from going for the easier access point for a short time.

Assumedly, OP, if your friend in Maidenhead had your son (very generous offer, which could go wrong if the friendship broke down), your family could still have him at weekends?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Yes my family are happy to have him every weekend. If he's not allowed to switch to a day boy then we'll have to forget this option. I want him to feel settled & not have to change schools few years down the line.

Oh well, it looks like I'll have to think of an alternative option.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I wonder if it is "easier" to get a boarding place? In which case, I am sure the school would be anti boys moving from boarding to day, not just for financial reasons to the school, but also to dissuade people from going for the easier access point for a short time.
They still take the same test and have to meet the same qualifying mark. However in the last few years they have sometimes struggled to fill all their boarding places and have offered boarding places to those on the day place waiting list. So us it is possibly an easier route in, but I think the boarding fees are about £10k, so not a cheap option.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

RGS in High Wycombe has a small number of boarding places.
scary mum
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

And I don't think it's easier to get a boarding place! But I suppose it'll give my DS a fighting chance as he'll be out of catchment.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

BlueBerry wrote:And I don't think it's easier to get a boarding place! But I suppose it'll give my DS a fighting chance as he'll be out of catchment.
To be fair, it's considerably easier to get a boarding place than it is a day place if you are ooc, as you stand just about no chance what so ever of getting a day place if you are ooc.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Sorry I meant the 11+ test in that he still has to pass it to be considered for a place.