no preference school given - please advise.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chad

Post by chad »

I have spoken to one of my colleagues would advise that you pursue every possible option at this stage - appeal, contact OoC school not offered, keep checking on preferred school waiting list (not so often as to annoy though).

It is still early days, if you do go to an Appeal then feel free to post in our Appeals section for any advice and it will be answered.
I believe you have 14 days to register your appeal.... fingers crossed you may not need to.
parmi

Post by parmi »

[quote="chad"] waiting list

I
parmi

Post by parmi »

[quote="chad"]I have spoken to one of my colleagues would advise that you pursue every possible option at this stage - appeal,
langley/mum

Post by langley/mum »

Hi Parmi.
I have a son in a langley primary school year 6.
I don't now if you already know this or if it is 100% accurate?
A month or so all the local children (that had put the academy on their CAF)sat a non-verbal reasoning paper and from the result the children were going to be put into bands.Then the places would be allocated to a set number of children within each band and nearest to the school?This is to ensure a mixure of ability children fill the places.
So the way I understand it if your child was in a common/popular band your child could be unfortunate despite living near to the school.
chad

Post by chad »

That is really interesting have not heard of that happening before... how can they do this and still work within the Lea guidelines?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

It's covered in the new Admissions Code. It basically allows for admission via lotteries and banding.

Sad but true :(

edited: to banding.. thx WP
WP

Post by WP »

This is banding. (It's described in the prospectus of their website.) It's been allowed for some time, though the rules have been tightened up. It's a useful device for a school in a selective area that wants a comprehensive (rather than secondary modern) intake, though it can be tough on the non-selective schools in the area that don't use banding. Bushey Meads in SW Herts uses it successfully, and even shares the tests with the partially selective schools in the area.

You'd expect the higher bands to reach further from the school, because many of the children in that ability range would have taken selective places. Their use of nine bands should smooth out arbitrary effects.
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry should of said.... not heard of that happening in Slough before...
So if they are 6th in bands 1-9... what doe sthat mean