anyone know 2nd round offers for all grammers slough

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
venus

anyone know 2nd round offers for all grammers slough

Post by venus »

:?:
New to all this but what a great website. Hi to all on this forum.
I am wondering if anyone knows if second round offers have been sent out.
I know langley cut off at 120 - what will they go down to.
herschel i believe are 113. 54+ appeals sent in.
not sure about slough.
Would appreciate any figures, as I know a lot of parents are considering appeals and this seems to be such a long process.
I am just presuming that children whom passed 11+ but not offered, have been put on waitlist, I just feel this is so unfair as it will take weeks/mnths before all the school places get filled - unfair to children
If we do appeal for oversubscription and also on waitlist then does this affect our chances, I just cannot seem to work the system out.

any advice welcome, i can only think that there have been a lot of children whom passed for langley 120+ and only a limited or few will get places in next round..please help.
wraysburymum

Slough Grammar

Post by wraysburymum »

Hi

Slough's appeals (for non-qualification) were held in February. A successful appeal resulted in a letter from the panel advising that the Governers would offer a place. For this reason, I can't see that Slough would have more than one round of offers: if you reached 111 in their test I believe you were offered a place immediately, if you were successful on appeal you were allocated a place. Slough obviously knew how many places they had and how many qualifying children selected the school as a high enough preference to take a place.

Hope this helps, anyone know any different please advise
venus

Post by venus »

thanks wraysburymum

Juat makes you wonder going through appeal is not even worth it, as I am sure most places are filled now - and here in slough we are stuck with the local comps that dont even stand out.
the only decent schools nearby are windsor or maidenhead and you need to be in catchment.
Have looked at the 2007 gcse results and the worst local comps are in areas wexham and langley.
Its only the grammers that stand out in slough.
Wish i moved now.
wraysburymum

Appeals

Post by wraysburymum »

I can't recommend appealing enough! My daughter is one of those kids who is a real high flyer at school and yet doesn't work under exam pressure (at age 10 anyway!). We found ourselves with wildly varying scores from 3 sets of tests and were lucky to get through both Bucks and Slough appeals.
In this instance an appeal did exactly what it is supposed to do- find the kids that SHOULD be in a grammar and achieve top of the scale 364 days of the year, but didn't produce the goods on the 365th day!
We too don't have any good catchment schools, straddle 4 counties and 3 education systems (comps, grammars and middle/high schools).
Last year our school sent 40 children to 19 different secondary schools. I put all our (3) eggs into the grammar basket and it paid off. So never give up in what you believe in, there is still a long way to go until September and a whole lot of places to be filled.
venus

Post by venus »

congrats wraysburymum am really pleased for you.

I will keep a brave face and will start thinking of appealing for my daughter.
I just feel so let down by the whole system, but I do not want her to go to any of the local comps, especially the one they have offered, even if its new, it does not change overnight- looking at the way the kids behave there - no wonder its been in special measures.
i am just a frustrated mum trying to do the best for her.
I will appeal and also seek any other places available as long as its not in slough.

:x
wraysburymum

Venus

Post by wraysburymum »

You must be referring to the wondrous Academy! I too am suspicious of these establishments, but have heard that once the initial kids travel through the school, they are introducing admission qualifications to hopefully up the output. You can apply now to RBWM for an interm transfer for year 6 to 7 for the windsor middle schools. That way you have a good (but not guaranteed) chance of getting into Windsor Boys/Girls who have better GCSE results.
Our feeder school in Churchmead.... love it!
wraysburymum
drummer

Post by drummer »

My child sat for Slough (passed with 114) which we put 3rd on our application behind Burnham and Herschel (both also passed).

We are in Bucks and were allocated Burnham. We also received an offer from Herschel but have never heard from Slough (who would not have known where they were on our CAP form to Bucks).
chad

Post by chad »

Hi drummer,

Yu should have received an offer from Slough. As you have been allocated your preferred school then obviously you haven't chased it.... I would have thought that the letter must have gone astray!... not that you haven't been offered a place. :roll:
venus

Post by venus »

wraysburymum

thankyou for all you advice, on the last point you mentioned.
churchmead - i do not know anything about the school apart from reading about it...whats that really like. have not heard nice things. (gossip) can you put me straight.
I have been told there are places .
chad

Post by chad »

Venus.... although historically Langley have offered down to 117 in the second round (and have been known to take the occasional 115) it is all different this year as Slough Grammar is not in the consortium. Herschel (I believe) offered down to 112 last year.

I really dont know how the 'consortium split' is going to affect the number of people at each waiting list place.