Good Secondary Schools in Berkshire/Buckinghamshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
M Nayak

Good Secondary Schools in Berkshire/Buckinghamshire

Post by M Nayak »

I am planning to settle down in Berkshire/Buckinghamshire because of the fact that there are grammar schools where my son can try.

Though he would try his best, as a back up, I would like to know if there are any decent secondary schools, in case he does not get into the grammar school. We do not want to end up in a secondary school that is bad and then keep lamenting about it.
I have gone through the ofsted ratings but it was not that comforting.. I have therefore put this across because ..perhaps there would be something more than the ratings and some of the secondary schools might be really better.

If anyone can advise me it would be great and we can then accordingly decide.

Thanks in advance
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi M Nayak,

As far as I know, The Chalfonts Community College is very good, and improving all the time. Well above average for a school of its kind. Here's the link to the site:
http://www.chalfonts.org/startpage.htm

Hope this helps

Catherine
chad

Post by chad »

Windsor Boys school has a good reputation for a comprehensive, as has Charters in Ascot....... but I have not got any personal knowledge of the schools, just second hand. Some people prefer a co-ed.... all children are different.
M Nayak

Post by M Nayak »

Thanks Chad and Catherine.

Would commuting from Langley or Maidenhead to these schools be possible

M Nayak
chad

Post by chad »

If you are looking around Maidenhead then Ranelagh (Bracknell Forest) is supposed to have a good reputation and I think is just South of Maidenhead but may have some religious criteria???

Windsor Boys is just off the M4 but I think has a 'catchment area by distance' at the end of the list of criteria . Charters is near Sunningdale so is a bit of a trek, I doubt whether you would be allocated a place due to distance.

I believe that Windsor Boys and Charters are both under the Windsor & Maidenhead LEA and Ranelagh comes under 'Bracknell Forest' so it might be worth you phoning and asking about catchment areas and 'out of area' allocations.... I know W&M/head produce figures each year to show allocations against criteria.
Be aware that Windsor operate 3 tier system (moving schools at 9 & 13) while everyone else (maidenhead included) moves to secondary level at 11.

The link below takes you into the borough website

www.rbwm.gov.uk

and this is the document sent out to parents.

http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/public/050909_gu ... 06_487.pdf

Can't help around Langley..... Not my area.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It is possible to commute to Chalfonts from Langley. It would be under 1/2 hour.
As Chad mentioned, the catchment issue is important here, particularly for Bucks schools. Bucks allocate places to Grammar and non Grammar schools according to where you live. First to chidren living in the catchment, then according to the distance from the school. Here's a link to the Bucks schools site:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =657970117

If you lived in Langley, you may not get a place in Chalfonts. A friend of mine who live in Langley got a place this year in the third round of allocations, but as this school is getting more and more popular, it may become more difficult to get a place if you live out ot catchment.
In another hand, if you live in Bucks, you can get to any of the Slough grammars which take pupils according to the 11+ score.

Please ask if you have any more questions.
M Nayak

Post by M Nayak »

Thanks Chad and Catherine.

Its been quite helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now