slough or langley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

greatmum

slough or langley

Post by greatmum »

my daughter is going to langley this september. She had offer from slough too but we liked langley better and we felt that the results are better than slough too. Anyway now I am hearing all these rumours (mainly from parents, whose children are not going to any grammar school or going to slough)that there have been fights involving children from langley. Also things like slough was preferred by more parents this year than langley. in my dd's school equal number of children going to both schools but all the children going to langley had offers from slough but they decline but children going to slough failed langley/herschel test and didn't have any other choice. Am I missing a point here?????? Can anyone clarify what is going on here.
blackbox31

Sour grapes

Post by blackbox31 »

I think its just sour grapes and people are probably jealous that your child got into Lamgley and there kid did not and thus has to go to slough. My daughter passed and is going to Herschel , she did not have enough points to get into langley.

Langley is by far the most oversubscribed grammar school and let says a lot. Plus there pass mark is much higher than the other grammar schools. You should be luck that your child is going to Langley. There is going to be some sort of trouble , but it does not make it a bad school overnight. Reputation is build over time and Langley has a very good reputation.

Blackbox
cordismith

Post by cordismith »

Sounds like sour grapes on the part of those other parents to me! I wouldn't worry about it, you chose the school you liked best and thought best for your dd as we all did, pay them no mind! We chose Slough over Langley but we are the only people we know that did that as everyone at our primary school thinks so badly of it. Herschel seems to have been the first choice for most at our school, followed by Langley, then the grammars in Bucks and then maybe Slough as a last resort!
chad

Post by chad »

I wouldn't worry about it at all.... you will always hear stories of any school. You choose the school you believe best fits your child..... all the slough grammars achieve well and langley has a great reputation.
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Thanks everyone for your response. It puts my mind at rest that we didn't make a mistake. when you hear things like this you start questioning yourself whether you have made the right choice. afterall its a very critical choice that you have to make for your child. Our older child goes to a local comp. school, which isn't bad school. our two children are so different thats why we are sending this one to langley. older one had confidence problem, thats why we didn't try for a grammar school as that would really be bad for her. youngerone on the otherhand like the competition and thrives when she is challanged. older one is really doing well at her school in all subjects and become really confident as she is in top group for all subjects. Anyway I really hope that we have made right choice for both our children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now