Reading Boys and Kendrick exams 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Reading School’s numbers were 529 for 2008, 472 for 2007, 400 for 2006, 475 for 2005 and 524 for 2004.
This is not the figure quoted by the admissions officer at the open evening last year. He advised that, for 2007, the figure who sat the test was 561.
Perhaps the discrepancy comes about by not including the boarding figures for RGS ???. :?
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi BW (nice to chat again!),

It gets more and more curious because I just checked out Reading Borough Council's most recent 'Moving on to Secondary School' guide, which gives figures of 562 for Reading Boys and 573 for Kendrick (for entry in Sept 2008), as per the following link:-

http://www.reading.gov.uk/Documents/edu ... 8%20v2.pdf

The Kendrick figure is definitely wrong because my DD had a letter giving her a position out of 518 candidates!! It just doesn't make sense at all. :?

Torrylee,

Yes, I completely agree that a figure of 'only' 529 girls is very encouraging given the credit crunch, etc, and I wouldn't mind betting that that is closest to the actual figure. It looks as though RBC might have exaggerated the applications they had for Sept 2008, for both schools possibly.

Thanks for your kind words, it definitely worked out for the best for my DD.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Ella,

Good to hear that DD is doing so well. Knew she would! ME is a Fantastic school.
36 days to go until we get results for DS2. Still not much fun, 2nd time round :(

C'est la vie

BW
Ella

Post by Ella »

BW,

I'm so glad I'm not going through all that waiting again.... can't believe it was almost a year ago!

I'm sure your DS2 will sail through, just like your DS1. Hope he's getting on OK - I often wonder if he's bumped into, or possibly made friends with, a couple of boys from my DCs old primary; the boys' initials are JM and JR (both have almost the same first name). Don't worry if you don't know who or what I'm talking about!

Take care, and I'll be looking out for all your good news in March when I'll be lurking around this forum again. :wink:
taffymum

Post by taffymum »

Thanks for the link, Ella. I had heared rumours that over 600 had tried for Kendrick this year. Whether,at the end of the day, it makes any difference to my DD, time will tell. The secondary school in our catchment is pretty good (though not as good as ME) so we can remain positive.

Thanks to you all
taffymum
Torrylee

Kendrick 2008

Post by Torrylee »

I thought that it was about time that I posted some information about our experience of the 2008 Kendrick exam last November. DD’s recollection was as follows, with the usual health warning about the memory of a 10 year old ...

NVR – there were four sections, three with 18 questions (9 minutes each) and one with 21 questions (10 minutes). One was a section with matrices (the three by three squares), one was ‘this is to this as this is to ?’, and another was which fits into the sequence type questions. There was no NVR code section. Sorry, don’t know what the fourth section was!
We had done NFER, Bond and AFN practice papers for NVR.

VR – there were no alphabetical order type questions but there were codes. There was one particular question type which DD thought she had not come across in practice papers, the questions in the paper went like this:
Sketch (WARD) drag, answer: DRAW
Planet (HEART) soil, answer: EARTH (but she put REATH :roll: )

For VR we had practised with NFER, IPS, Walsh, Bright Sparks and some of the other Susan Daughtrey books; in the paper there were definitely more than the 21 types normally expected for NFER multiple choice papers but not many that DD had never seen before.

There was one crossword question and two Z type questions. The number sequences had numbers with halves in which surprised DD!
One of the NVR questions had been misprinted, there were no letters to circle. A girl pointed this out and they were told (in the middle of the test) to just write the letter in. Not an ideal interruption.

DD was surprised that other girls, having finished their papers early, were sitting back sipping their drinks! The girls are dismissed by exam room, they are allocated to an exam room in groups by surname, alphabetically (but the exam room letter won’t be the same as their surname letter!). Don’t know how they allocate am or pm, it’s not by school, maybe by application number?

What to wear? I thought a lot would be in school uniform, and some were, but I would say the majority were in jeans/casual clothes.

We arrived about 8.15am, at which time they were already taking girls inside in small groups.

They switched staff invigilators and teenage helpers between the two papers.

I don’t know how many candidates there were but the lady who was dismissing the girls by surname said they had given her a microphone headset this year because there were so many names to read :(

This is a bit of a ramble but I hope it is clear enough, feel free to ask questions if it isn’t! Would be interested to hear how other girls found the two papers?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thankyou, very much Torrylee.

All your information will be helpful to many people. :D

Interesting that you say that they switched invigilators between the two papers. DS2 advised that the same thing occurred at his RGS test , also.

(As an aside, having now experienced the joys of Invigilating 1st hand, I can fully appreciate the need to change shifts. :wink: )

Only 22days left to possible letter arriving, 21 if you're an online applicant, and IF their system is working. Did you apply online, or via post?
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Hi BW

Just to be on the safe side we did both !! :) We did this last time too and the result appeared online as promised, so it could be a very late night on the Sunday ... :(
Rosette

Re: Kendrick 2008

Post by Rosette »

Torrylee wrote: in the paper there were definitely more than the 21 types normally expected for NFER multiple choice
:shock:

Is Kendrick exam multi choice and is it set by nfer?

I'm not in the area for Kendrick but going for Tiffin which is both MC and set by nfer. I have been assuming we would be safe to stick to the 21 types and ignore Bond for VR.

Should I start to panic?
Rosette
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Hi Rosette

No need to panic!

Kendrick VR is standard version NFER, not multiple choice. Sorry if I worried you! If you know your VR paper will be NFER multiple choice then you are right to stick to the 21 types. For standard version VR there is scope for lots of extra types, so be grateful that you can stop at 21!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now