Ombudsman rules against Herschel Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WP

Post by WP »

ummh74 wrote:At Tiffin's Open Evening, the head said that in order to be offered a place at his school you had to pass , of course, but also you had to put Tiffin at first on your CAF (it is also written on the website!)
I am a bit worried as we put Tiffin second on our CAF and yesterday my son said that he found the exam easy so if he scores high and provided he fails his first choice does it mean that he will not be offered a place?
A lot of heads say that, but they're bluffing (unless they're planning to break the law like the Slough trio seem to have been). Tiffin don't know your preferences: they didn't ask for them of the SIF, and your LEA won't give them to the school. Your LEA will allocate you the school that you ranked highest out of those that offer you a place.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

ummh74 - I think they are warning you that if you qualify for admission to more than one school, you will still only receive one offer from your highest ranked preference.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Sorry guys, my take on this is also a negative one...

Say you have put down three preferences:

1st Pref. Langley

2nd Pref. Tiffin

3rd Pref. Slough

If you pass Slough's test, they will offer you a place, UNLESS

you pass Tiffin's Test... in which case, Tiffin will give you a place.... UNLESS

you pass Langley's Test, in which case, Langley will give you a place.

And it stops there, as it is YOUR first preference. You wanted Langley to be your first preference.

So if Tiffin is your 1st preference school, but you put it down as 2nd on your CAF form..... Then, if you pass Tiffin's test, you will get into Tiffin ONLY IF you fail Langley. But not if you pass Langley.
passinby

Post by passinby »

I am a little confused about the procedure of "2nd round" offers which I have read in the posts. How does this work in practice? For example, if Langley does not give my child a place on the offer day in March, presumably the LEA will write to say we have been offered the next school down which accepts us. Looking at old posts, some children have been offered a place as late as June. What happens then? Does the LEA write withdrawing the March offer, saying our higher preference was possible to allocate? Or, does Langley write to make the offer directly and parents then have to negotiate with the LEA and the school allocated in March. You see, I was under the impression in March we would have to make a definite agreement (if we were not going to appeal) to accept or not the offered school place. :?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

JaysDarlin - I agree with your analysis but I don't see the negative. You will be offered your highest ranking preference. It is impractical to expect multiple offers.
orion

Post by orion »

Drastic Dad, just a thought, however, if I was faced with your dilemma I would perhaps argue on the following lines:

(I assume your first choice school on the CAF is Langley having read your previous post)

1. That you placed Langley as your first choice having attended an open evening at which the Deputy Head (from recollection) clearly stated that unless you place Langley as your first choice grammar (note she did not merely refer to first choice consortium school) you would not be offered a place at Langley.

2. You relied on that statement and accordingly placed Langley first despite Tiffin being your actual preferred first choice.

3. Having now read the Ombudsman’s determination, against Hershall, and having spoken to others it appears that the Deputy Head teacher misrepresented the position, first preference being against the regulations (other will have more insight in terms of the exact terminology)

4. You placed Tiffin second because it is deemed to be a more difficult school to enter and you did not wish to totally jeopardise your child’s chances of securing a grammar school place by placing Langley second, in view of the Deputy Head's remarks.

5. In conclusion if your child does secure sufficient marks for a place at Tiffin then you would wish to have that school placed as your first choice school

This is just a suggestion other posters may have greater insight, however I do not think it is unreasonable to rely on representations made by a school, you expect them to be correct and I would suggest that they do owe you a duty of care because they would expect you to act on their suggestions and information.
WP

Post by WP »

According to the Hounslow Transfer Guide, tomorrow (12 Dec) is the deadline for late applications that can be handled in the main allocation, but they want a pretty good reason.
chad

Post by chad »

passinby said
I am a little confused about the procedure of "2nd round" offers which I have read in the posts. How does this work in practice?
I believe (not certain) that the school makes the offer directly. You would then accept the offer and notify the previous school offered (in writing) that you wish to relinquish the place.
chad

Post by chad »

To read the report from the Ombudsman's office website see link below...

http://www.lgo.org.uk/news/info.php?ref ... &startnum=

You can download the full report as a word doc... using the 'Information files' link at the bottom of the page
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

WP wrote:A lot of heads say that, but they're bluffing (unless they're planning to break the law like the Slough trio seem to have been).
Actually, when a head is promoting their school at an open evevning, they are genuinly selling their school and are correct in the respect of the simple statement that they ALL say..... 'If you want this school, you have to place it first.'

I believe they are not out to bluff, just showing their passion for their school.
passinby wrote:I am a little confused about the procedure of "2nd round" offers which I have read in the posts. How does this work in practice?
Last year 1st round/initial offers were sent out by the LA. Any subsequent offers were sent out by the school. These were the remaining places after peolple declined the initial offer of a place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now