Open evenings for 2017 test/2018 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pmc

Open evenings for 2017 test/2018 entry

Post by pmc »

With the kids now all moving up a school year, and everything to do with grammar schools also happening on September dates (albeit in different years), I'm getting all muddled up!

The opening evenings taking place this September (2016) are intended primarily for the kids who are just now starting year 5, who will be taking the test in September next year (2017), for entry to Year 7 in September the year after that (2018). Do I have that right?
OldTrout

Re: Open evenings for 2017 test/2018 entry

Post by OldTrout »

Hi pmc

Open Evenings at grammar schools in Birmingham are just that OPEN to Y5 and Y6.

Y5 - for kids thinking about taking the exam and perhaps needing to see why they might be willing to put in all that hard work.

Y6 - for kids who've taken the exam but haven't quite made up their mind about which school to put as 1st choice/ 2nd choice/ etc...

----------------------

I will add, because this was the case with small fry for 2016 entry, although we attended the open evening at Camp Hill Girls in Sept Y6 (just after the test) it was so packed we didn't really feel we had a flavour of the school.

Small fry felt she wanted to go there, but when she was offered a place in March at Camp Hill she suddenly had doubts - because she felt she was the only kid from her school. In the letter offering small fry a place at KECHG, Camp Hill very kindly offered applicants an opportunity to visit on an ordinary school day. It was a lot quieter. A few teachers asked her into their classrooms during lessons and she had a chance to ask a few questions about music lessons.

So if you are unsure about going this September and in Y6 and taking the 11+ shortly - don't panic - you can visit the grammar school which offers you a place in the Spring, just to make sure. And I highly recommend it.

OT
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now