Birmingham Grammar Schools - Results 2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Happy_Dad_Mum

Re: Birmingham Grammar Schools - Results 2017

Post by Happy_Dad_Mum »

My DS has passed the Bucks Grammar school with a very good score which was announced on OCT 14 and we currently live in Milton Keynes.
We have plans to relocate to Birmingham because of my work and my question is that is it possible to get admission in one of the Birmingham Grammar schools on the basis of the Bucks Grammar results. (they both have the same similar CEM format).
p.s. - My DS has not appeared for the Birmingham Grammar exam.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Hi HDM and welcome

Unfortunately, the answer to your query is no. Your DS would have to have sat the B'ham exam or the Warks one and shared their result with B'ham. Different LAs have different contracts with CEM, asking different questions with different weightings. They are also standardised against those who took the test.

In order to gain a place at a B'ham GS, your DS would have to sit the test again as a late applicant. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to let you know what the process is.

JD
Happy_Dad_Mum

Post by Happy_Dad_Mum »

Thanks JD
My DS has written for KES Birmingham as well and awaiting the results.
If he manages to get a scholarship seat something which I have kept an option open.
Let's see hoping for the best.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Happy_Dad_Mum wrote:My DS has passed the Bucks Grammar school with a very good score which was announced on OCT 14 and we currently live in Milton Keynes.
We have plans to relocate to Birmingham because of my work and my question is that is it possible to get admission in one of the Birmingham Grammar schools on the basis of the Bucks Grammar results. (they both have the same similar CEM format).
p.s. - My DS has not appeared for the Birmingham Grammar exam.
As one the replies has stated, you son would need to sit the B/Ham consortium exam at some stage (they have various exam dates for families moving into the area)

Please be aware however that the scores in the Bucks and B/ham exams cannot be compared directly - the 121 is an artificial/adjusted pass mark set by Bucks to correspond with about the top 30% sitting the exam. B/Ham grammars are more difficult to get into (circa about 1 in 7). So for example a score of say 125 in Bucks would be significantly lower in the B/Ham exam. You could ask Bucks for advice regarding where you son was passed in the overall Bucks exam so you could work out what approx. the equivalent B/Ham score would be.
Happy_Dad_Mum

Post by Happy_Dad_Mum »

Thanks Ken, very helpful.
saima_786

Post by saima_786 »

Can anyone please help and give me any information as to which is better????

Handsworth girls grammar school
Or QM???
Anigan

Post by Anigan »

Hi Saima, looks like you've left it to the last minute like me!
I went around both of these schools last year with my daughter. They are both good schools. Queen Mary's had a really nice cosy feel about it and I was really impressed by my tour guide and the tour itself and they seemed really supportive and had extra help for anyone who needed it. Ke handsworth is also a really good school which sits nicely on the league tables. Have you visited these two schools?
saima_786

Post by saima_786 »

Anigan wrote:Hi Saima, looks like you've left it to the last minute like me!

I went around both of these schools last year with my daughter. They are both good schools. Queen Mary's had a really nice cosy feel about it and I was really impressed by my tour guide and the tour itself and they seemed really supportive and had extra help for anyone who needed it. Ke handsworth is also a really good school which sits nicely on the league tables. Have you visited these two schools?

Hi thanks for the reply.

I get what you mean i have left it late. I have been doing alot of research over the past and was unsure between the both as to which is better, as i have diferent people giving me various reviews. However idid not get around to open events for both of them as i realy did not think my dd would do so well after hearing from many people how tough the competition was.

I have submitted my prefrence list as follows
King edwards camp hill
Handsworth grammar
Queen marys
Wolverhampton girls
And then remaining 2 my local comps.

Now its all about the wait till march..

But good luck to everyone who will be awaiting for this very important date!
WISE

Post by WISE »

saima_786 wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply.

I get what you mean i have left it late. I have been doing alot of research over the past and was unsure between the both as to which is better, as i have diferent people giving me various reviews. However idid not get around to open events for both of them as i realy did not think my dd would do so well after hearing from many people how tough the competition was.

King edwards camp hill
Handsworth grammar
Queen marys
Wolverhampton girls

'Handsworth Grammar' is a boys school.
I assume you mean 'KE Handsworth'.

I know students in both KE Handsworth and QMHS. From their experience I would prefer KE Handsworth much more than QMHS.
saima_786

Post by saima_786 »

WISE wrote:
saima_786 wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply.

King edwards camp hill
Handsworth grammar
Queen marys
Wolverhampton girls

'Handsworth Grammar' is a boys school.
I assume you mean 'KE Handsworth'.

I know students in both KE Handsworth and QMHS. From their experience I would prefer KE Handsworth much more than QMHS.

Apologies i mean KE handsworth.

Thank you for the information.