Adams' Grammar School Newport

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dawn

Adams' Grammar School Newport

Post by Dawn »

My son will be sitting the 11+ for this school for entry in Sept 2008.

Does anyone know what sort of marks he needs to be getting?

Any information about admissions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dawn
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I know it is a long shot as this is such a 'quiet' topic, but wondered if anyones son had been offered a place at Adam's?
kellyfive

Post by kellyfive »

It appears that very few have got in from Newport. Less than normal although don't know the exact figure. School refuses to give out exam results but there is an appeal you can go to.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

My DS has been lucky enought to have been offered a place! We have heard that over 550 sat this year, over 100 more than last year, not sure if that is right. It is such a great school it is bound to be competitive though.
resmum

Adam's Grammar

Post by resmum »

Dawn (or anyone else with sons at AG)

How is your son settling in at AG ? My son is very keen to go there and will be sitting the exam in Jan. Everyone I've spoken to seems to have a very high opinion of the school but it would be good to know what a new entrant thinks of the place.

Thanks
resmum
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

resmum,

I cannot speak highly enough of the school. My son has settled in very quickly and really loves school, he hasn't even complained about the amount of homework. The pastoral care is fantastic and the school focus on house groups rather than year groups, so in all house competitions (they have had cross country, rugby, chess and badminton so far) the older year groups encourage the younger ones. The older boys are encouraged to look out for the younger ones and this certainly seems to have happened. My son has made some great friends already and seems to like the teachers too. There is a really friendly atmosphere about the school. We are really thrilled with it so far.

If there is anything that you would like to know just ask. I wish your son all the luck with his test in January. My son sat for 3 schools (Adams' was 1st choice) and he said that the atmosphere during the Adams' test was more relaxed than any of the others, don't know if that was because it was the last one and so he was more relaxed or whether it was the school.

Dawn
resmum

Adams Grammar

Post by resmum »

Thanks for that info Dawn.

Does your son have to take a bus? We would be travelling from Wolverhampton and I heard that this year the new year 7's had to organise their own minibus because the coach was full.

Resmum
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Yes, he gets the bus from Compton. There was a mix up over the bus this year, first year for a long time that there are more boys from Wolverhampton than places on the bus! It was actually a mum with a daughter at NGH that arranged the bus and my son does go on the alternative bus. It is a bit more expensive but it picks up and drops off in Compton like the regular school bus. Hopefully the school will have sorted it out for next year.

I forgot to mention earlier, the school also do a 4 day rugby and language camp at the end of the summer holidays for the new starters. They can do it as a residential course staying at Longford (the boarding house). My son did it and really loved it, he made lots of friends before school started.
resmum

Adam's Grammar

Post by resmum »

Dawn,

Still a month to go before we hear from Adam's but as we will have to make a decision fairly quickly I was wondering about the social side of the school. Does your son have many friends from Adams who live locally who he sees at weekends? Also, does your son participate in many after school activities which necessitates you driving up to Newport to pick him up?

My son also sat the exam for Wolverhampton Grammar. Do you have any friends with children at this school and if so what do they think about it ?

Many thanks

Resmum
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Resmum,

He does have a couple of friends who live in Wolverhampton, one good friend. His 4 closest friends from Adams live all over, one in Shrewsbury, one in Newport and one in Market Drayton. He has seen them at weekends but he plays football on a Sunday and has done for a few years so he has very close friends in his team that he spends time with at weekends, best of both worlds for him really.

There are a lot of boys at Adams from Wolverhampton, so your son would have a good chance of making friends locally, but you know children they could make friends from anywhere! My son has made very good friends though in a very short time, I think he is surprised how much most of his form mates are like him!

He does do some after school clubs, mostly rugby. This is only once a week. If your son joins an orchestra that might also involve one after school club. Most of the clubs seem to take place over lunchtime. You get the chance to meet other parents waiting for the bus and with my sons year group I know that parents have taken it in turn to pick the boys up after rugby training.

My son also sat for Wolverhampton Grammar, the good thing about that is that you find out whether they have a place earlier than March. I don't know anyone who has a child there though.

Good luck for March, I am sure your son will love Adams' if he decides to go there, my son thinks it is the best school on the planet!

Dawn