ae tuition bks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
firsttimermum

ae tuition bks

Post by firsttimermum »

Whilst on a visit to W********* I came across ae tuition books series and was quite inpressed!! Has anyone tried these books and are they relevant to the KECH,KE and BV exams...please enlighten me as I was quite bewildered by the large selection of books and papers etc avail... :?
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

I take it no-one has come across this series (ae tuition) of books, I thought maybe any of the tutors have seen/used them :(

Also are the NFER books now called Letts ??

My DS got his QCA results today, he did well and got 5b in everything apart from 4a in english. Do I need to worry about his english..I know its above average but is it enough to see him through the 11 plus?
fm

Post by fm »

Do you mean the spelling and vocabulary books?

I have copies of Book 9 to 12 and was considering using them with my students next year. I would certainly give them thumbs up for helping with both vocabulary and word finding for the KE exam.

I wouldn't worry about the 4a. Sats English is quite different from 11 plus English. My own daughter scored a 4 on year 6, and she passed for KE and Sutton Grammar.

At the same time I have had students on 5B English because they could write a good essay and understood the format of what was required to get a good mark in a Sats comprehension (which my daughter is still trying to grasp), but who have had insufficient vocabulary and poor spelling or who have been too slow at reading to really excel in the KE test.

The grammar schools have also recognised that they are getting entrants who may excel at maths and non-verbal but be less able in English because I understand Five Ways is now setting the children in English from Year 7. Looking at some of the scores for Camp Hill Boys also suggest some of their students are not naturals at English.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi fm!
Thanks for replying, actually I meant the Ae tuition bk series 1-6 in maths and some in VR. Are there any for vocabulary..great that's what I have been looking for. I feel my son could really do with improving his vocab.
Could you please give me details of these books.
The ones I was asking about are actually on this website and included in the book reviews and got 5 stars.....and for some reason I can't get onto the wordlists from Patricia on this website.

Kind regards,
FTM
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I've used the Ae tuition books in non verbal reasoning, they are very good and work through it methodically. The type of book to use if you have lots of time to prepare.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now