ke 5 ways or aston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Post by um »

I agree that distance/travelling is important, but that said, my son is used to travelling to a Primary school which is not that local to us.
I was asking about the 'difficulty' of passing the various tests for strategic reasons. For example there is no point in putting KE Aston as first choice and KE Camp Hill as second - because if a child didn't get into Aston they wouldn't get into Camp Hill either!

If passing QM test is 'harder' than Bishop Veseys, perhaps QM should come higher in my list - I also noticed that the average score points at GCSE for QM were far higher than Bishop Veseys - in fact they were comparable with Camp Hill. QM seems to be slightly longer in terms of travelling time from our house, but I spoke to my son and he insisted he just wanted to go to the 'best' school no matter what the distance (!)

I was wondering why there are no Green buses for Bishop Vesey but there are for the other Grammars. Anyone know why? Do parents communicate/share lifts there etc?
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

If you take the route of Queen Marys , then i would advise you to find out if the exam has changed its format, i think it may have looking at the the Queen Mary's High School exam for girls which i think is linked with the Boys exam.

Regards .Quizzer
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

I would also like to to stop this myth that the Queen Mary's is harder....it is not.. they 'Were' the same level considering one is standard and one is multiple choice. This just depends on how you approached the exams.

I never used any multiple choice formats until my Ds and nephew had
to prepare for the QM and King Edward Grammars exams in November and December, and they found this format so easy then after doing everything in standard format that it was quite easy for them.

Both came out saying it was AS easy BV if not easier.

Regards..Quizzer
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

This topic is relevant to my concerns re my son. We live much nearer to KE Aston but am thinking a co ed school may suit my son's personality more than boys only. He hates football and is by no means a "typical boisterous "10 yr old. He loves reading, playing guitar and even writes beautiful poetry. He is very sensitive and emotionally mature. I worry he'll flounder in an all male environment.

The Green Bus passes very close to home but would entail him getting on it at 7.10 am! Am considering the options re driving him ( should I put 5 ways down and should he be fortunate to gain a place, of course). Does anyone have experience of the journey from NW B'ham quite near to Junc 1 of M 5 and if so, would this be a relatively easy route to the school?
The other option might be down the Wolverhampton Rd but am never out and about during rush hour so really have no idea how busy these routes are.

I'd appreciate any advice/ input re my query.
Thanks clarendon
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Clarendon

I wouldn't rule out the Green Bus, it is very early but they all seem to cope ok and it's a great way of integrating in year 7. It does seem to get easier as they go through the years.

Best thing to do is to do a trial run on the June/July Induction day if you are successful and get a place.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Thank you for replying KenR.

I can't help thinking that 7.10 am is so early to be at a bus stop and that will impinge on his quality time after school.. he'd be so knackered after homework and eating it'd be lights out by 9pm.
If no one has any expereince of this route I'll have to consider a trial run.
za1

Earlt Start

Post by za1 »

Clarendon - I was thinking about this when we were looking at the various options last year. If my son got a place at Bishop Vesey only, we would have accepted. But the day would have :

- wake 6am
- leave house at 7
- catch 7:10 bus to train station
- catch 7:40 train to Sutton

- return home about 5:30

Long day......mind you, I would still have sent him to BV rather then accept the local comprehensive.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Not sure if anyone noticed but KE 5-Ways was 6th in the National Grammar School league tables for GCSEs in 2009.

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/sch ... s/grammars

For comparison

KE 5-Ways 6th
Camp Hill Boys 31st
KE Aston 62nd
Bishop Vesey 106th

Can't see the results for the girls schools as the table is still being updated.
za1

5 ways

Post by za1 »

Ken.....5 ways is also in the top 10 for A level results.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

I was told BV was in the top 100 schools also although I haven't checked personally. I really like FW, however it is so far ! We live in Hodge Hill so it is really far at least an hour and half on the bus. Hmm we don't really know whether we will include it in our choices. :?