Preparation for King Edwards in Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fm

Post by fm »

Okay, I would get the English book but don't do the whole thing. Use it for comprehensions, spelling and vocabulary.

I set quite a brisk pace on Bond books because I want time at the end to do a variety of other stuff because Bond has its limitations. I start off on 9-10 Maths and aim to do 2 tests a week with pupils--either do one in class and set one for homework, or do all the hard bits from 2 tests and set rest for homework. I'd go on to 10-11 in the New Year and finish about Easter. I would then slow down and 11-12 in conjunction with other work.

I would not bother doing Bond VR because it is not relevant for NFER tests like Sutton or the KE test. Instead I would devote the time saved to English and, in particular, vocabulary. You can do VR in a very short space of time so you can afford to leave it until much later (perhaps waiting to find out if the Sutton exams are going to remain the same).

With non-verbal, by all means work through the Bond books but then branch out into other types. Try replicating the KE exam but giving child types they have never seen and have to work out for themselves.

While Bond books are useful as a teaching aid, they are not the whole story. You need variety in all areas.

Hope this helps.
za1

Bond English

Post by za1 »

Bruce....

I would definitely go for Bond English. As Fm says, they are very good for comprehension especially. The comprehensions are fairly challenging. Excellent practice for KEGS. Excellent value books also. About 24 papers in each book for about 6 quid.
floozey

Post by floozey »

This advice is really useful - I will get AE Tution books 8-12 and some of the letts NFER papers.......any other recommendations please
um

Post by um »

Bond have just published Comprehension papers from this year as well. These are only comprehensions - no other questions.
I did buy fourth level ones but unfortunately have not had much time to get my son to do many.
mm2

Post by mm2 »

Hi all

have finally .........( succumbed, surrended, joined, quit) and joined the rest of you in the .........( countdown, race, journey, time) to the exams.
Sorry couldn't resist, as now brain has turned to mush as been in cloze mode for the last few days.
DD has decided her brain now has left the building, and I suspect is not returning in the forseable future. Arrrh!!!!
Only hope is KEHS test- any ideas on what format this takes?

good luck all.

mm2

ps if anyone sees dd's brain please pm back to me.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Welcome back mm2. Nearly there ....
Re KEHS my d sat this last year and said she found it easier than KEFG. It is over 2 days and on each day there was a comprehension and maths. There was also some VR but I think this was only on 1 of the days.
The comps were inferential and required you to give opinions and interpretations. One was about a cat up a tree and the other was ( Ithink) from The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness poss Wolf Brother and after the q the child had to continue the story and say what happened next that type of thing. Sorry but can't recall the maths and VR q now. but I do know she wasn't time pressured and found them OK... whatever that means!
Best wishes to your daughter.. I was pulling my hair out with my d this time last year... loads of errors and silly mistakes ,you name it ,but she did get through.
mm2

Post by mm2 »

Thank you Za1 for your pm, and Clarendon for your feedback.

Thought it was going to be easier with DD, as already been thru this with Ds ,but just so different.

Feel guilty, as spent last year settling DS into new school(and also just needed a breather ), that didn't maybe prepare DD as well as could have.

Also trying to strike a balance of not adding the extra pressure of big brother succeeding, that maybe backed off too much.
LAst minute prep not working as this is both our brains at the moment...

mm2