KE Camp Hill Boys Year 7 Social Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KES Parent

Re: camp hill evening

Post by KES Parent »

za1 wrote:Mike....I was seething at the amount of time parents spent with the form teacher! My wife stopped me from interrupting a chap who was with her 15 min knowing there were people in the queue!!! I mean - surely at this stage, the chat should be : " Erm...hows my son doing?" "Yes - he's fine...". "Oh....ok then see you at the parents evening". Ok add a few more questions.....2 - 3 mins max is fine suirely?
I am afraid the selfishness and pushiness and self-obsessedness of a significant minority of KE parents knows no bounds. It used to absolutely infuriate us until the resulting damage to our blood pressure forced us to just regard it as amusing entertainment while we were waiting. One of our prep school headmasters (not in Birmingham unfortunately :lol: ) took to ringing a bell every five minutes at parents evenings and everyone then had to move on - a terrific idea, but probably wouldn't work here as some people are deaf to everything unless it concerns their dear offspring.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I mean - surely at this stage, the chat should be : " Erm...hows my son doing?" "Yes - he's fine...". "Oh....ok then see you at the parents evening".
I am afraid the selfishness and pushiness and self-obsessedness of a significant minority of KE parents knows no bounds.
Some have had a wobbly start and have a few things to talk through so will take longer, I gave up trying to talk to one of the staff because they were talking to a parent about some settling in issues and I didn't want to eavesdrop (not that conversation, anyway 8) ). There were one or two who were definitely taking the opportunity to determinedly push little whossisname forward into the limelight but it's the same at any school really - I seriously doubt there are fewer pushy parents at a Solihull comp than at the KEs (but the proportion will certainly be higher than average in both cases :wink: ). So far there seem to be plenty of "normal" people as well!

Mike
za1

ke

Post by za1 »

I guess I was a being a bit flippant when I said the conversations should be 2 minutes max. I do understand some parents have concerns and a longer chat is necessary. However....I do think some consideration to other parents should come into play! I wanted to go butt in and go join in the conversation but my wife stopped me . :oops:

Anyway ... it's early days. I'm sure it takes some kids a year or so before coming into their element. My form teacher mentioned that my son had settled in very well and got on well with people. She said he was "a bit quiet" and 'has a very good nature'. I decided to take it as a compliment! But I guess she was hinting that he needs to 'open up'. It was the same at Prmary school....it took him some time before he started to express himself verbally.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

No criticism intended - we were certainly guilty of spending longer than we really needed, but I think over the years we've developed a habit of interrogating Master 1880's teachers to find out whether they've sussed him or not.

[edit: re: "everyone will represent the school at rugby" - according to the term diary they take 5 U-12 teams to Adams Grammar in November, I imagine that will more or less cover it.]

Mike
fraser101

Post by fraser101 »

I have just finished 7 years at Camp hill this year so if any of you have any questions about the school I will do my best to answer it.