Well Saturday looms...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BB248

Post by BB248 »

My DC did the BV / SG exam this morning at Castle Vale School - what a shock! There were HUNDREDS of children there and it was a scrum getting them in, and out. Such chaos at the end, with tempers fraying as the one route in & out becamed gridlocked. AND apparently there will be another sitting this afternoon! The invigilator old me that there were 3,500 applicants for 350 places. Although I'd been warned to expect it to be busy, I had no idea quite how busy it could get...

And the KE exams are apparently even more over subscribed.

Poor children - so many will be disappointed...am staring to wonder if the odds are just so high that we shldn't have embarked on this journey.
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

It is a shock when you see the crowds, but you have done absolutely the right thing in trying. It would be terrible not to go for it and then to think in a few months or even years time, if only....
You are all giving your DC the best possible chance, continued Good Luck. It's been two years since we last 'did this' but the feelings are still there, strong as ever!
Hope you can relax a little and enjoy any family treats you may have planned!
Good Luck :lol:
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Thats 1:100 :!: :!: :!:
OMG I cant believe it that is really scary,my DS took it at Saltley school on Belchers lane, it was really peaceful and they were quite organised.Although we started a bit late everything went smoothly.

What was your chiilds reaction to the paper, mine said it was okay he finished it all early and apart from a few he said it was straightforward. Athough his assumptions are not far from correct...last time he said that in a mock he got 50% :?
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

oops!! :oops: The ratio is 1:10 and i did A level Maths!!!

FTM
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Hi firsttimemum

My DC said he thought the maths was fair and the time allowed was fine. The NVR was similar, if a little harder and not as generous timewise. But the VR was a challenge to him, he said. Kids were coming out saying that it was all, "Pip-squeak easy." That was not my DC's response at all but he did come out smiling! Hoorah!!
A friend of mine had her DC sit at the same Saltley site as your DC and she said that she was able to go into the school and settle down her child! How reassuring that must be for the parents (if not the child).

My Dc far more concerned about the start of the Villa game & is now beeming cos they beat Chelsea. Phew!

BB248
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Kegs mum 3

Thanks for your encouraging words. Can't imagine going through this 3 times! You deserve a medal! Or gin on tap, or both.

Thanks again and I think you're probably right - it's better to have a go & then at least you know and are not left wondering. DC seems far less phased than his anxious mum in any case.

BB248
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

wow, it was absolutely mayhem at Castle Vale this afternoon, the queue went all the way back and snaked for what seemed an age! DD2 said I can't wait mum I will be sick, so she gave me a quick smile a kiss and ran in!!!

She came out smiling said the NVR & VR were easy, but the math was a problem. She does find math to be her most challenging subject.

I do hope that out of those 3500 that were applying, most want KEGS or QM lol... That way the odds drop aye?

anyway its over for us again, last year done, this year done, in two years time I might have to go through it again lol.. good luck for March now lol

:wink:

liesa
xx
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

oops!! The ratio is 1:10 and i did A level Maths!!!
Chill, ftm! The numbers taking the exam always sound scary but if you look at the pass mark (327) it translates into top 27.5% - i.e. better than one in four.

Mike
Footballdad

Post by Footballdad »

Mike

Cheers for the figures thats more comforting. My daughter was confident before hand. Daddy dearest was twitchy, nervous and anxious. When i went to pick daughter up from Sutton on the afternoon session the numbers of people hit me and my stress levels went up a notch.

But my daughter calmly walked over and without asking told me the exam was very easy. She finished well within time even had time to check her questions and answers. From the cross checking she realised she misread a few questions rectified the answers. Told me she only had to guess one answer. As soon as she came home she checked the answer. Did not ask her if her guess was correct or not?

I wish all forum members and lurkers children good luck and i hope she has done as well as she reckon she has.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Sounds like positive feedback on the whole. My son also found it overall easy.. esp. the VR said NVR was OK and some of the maths a little tricky.
He didn't leave out any and had time to check. It's made him more relaxed which is great as he was very nervous. At least all the kids get a feel of the "routine" on exam day so will be a little less anxious on future test days.

Not sure I get your post ,Mike. Surely just because 27.5% attain the pass mark they can't all be offered a place??? I believe 150 places at Sutton and 124 at BV = 274ish. Apologies in advance for being a bit dim!! Lack of sleep and first exam nerves to blame!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now