SATS results a good indication on passing 11+ ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

floozey

SATS results a good indication on passing 11+ ?

Post by floozey »

My DD got the following stats results at end of year 4 - English Reading 4C, Maths 3B and English Writing 3A - her teacher said she is capable of more in maths and she is still in top set......are these results good for someone who is now in year 5 and going to attempt the 11+ at start of year 6?
Or should I not take these results too seriously and is her chances of passing more related to her progress in the Bond books?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Have a look at the Bexley and Kent threads.

We have kids who are strong level 5s across all subjects in at the end of yr5. Top groups at school, G&T programmes, superb mental maths, regularly scoring very highly on recommended practice papers, 75-95%.

Many have failed as the huge demand for places has pushed the bar so high. :shock:

Hope your area is better than ours.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Hi floozey,

Sorry, I meant to answer this but I was busy until today and would have forgotten it if Tracy hadn't given it a nudge.

It's not that long since we went over the relevance of SATS to 11+:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=10775

Basically, they're only a general indcation (Bexley and Kent has no relevance at all, by the way - things are very, very different there). If you're getting good SATS predictions then it's encouraging, but no more - level 5s across the board in Y6 (or even Y5) won't guarantee you a KE place, conversely lower levels don't mean it's completely out of the question either.

At start of Y5, 4a/4b is a good place to be (you can expect to go up a couple of sub-levels per year:

http://www.burfordschool.co.uk/newslett ... lained.pdf

The maths is a worry (roughly average for start of Y5) but you've basically already been told that's not an accurate reflection of her ability and you've got plenty of time to work on it anyway. There's nothing in what you've been told that says "don't bother".

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now