Maths books

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dream

Maths books

Post by dream »

Hi

Can anyone help please. I am currently going through Bonds books for my daughter who will aply to Sutton Girls/King Edwards school 2010. She is getting anything between 50% to 75 % in the age 9-10 books.

Does she have a chance or should be getting higher at this stage? Is it worth continuing with Bonds or would it be worth me prchasing the Stephen Curran AE books or any others?
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

Most of us with kids taking test this year were in this position 12 months ago.

Personally we used Bond exclusively until 3 months ago, then started to use as many different tests and questions as possible.

Matt
fm

Post by fm »

9-10 Bond books have stuff that many schools will not have covered yet (fractions adequately, long division, ratio). Instead of worrying about her percentage, I would use them as a teaching rather than a testing aid, and view any wrong answers as a chance to step in and review a topic.

Some of my pupils have struggled their way through 9-10 and 10-11, only to suddenly up their game when it came to 11-12. Others have continued to struggle all year. I think it is rather early in the process to decide if it is pointless or concern yourself whether she is on target.

Whatever the outcome, this extra you are doing with her is going to pay dividends in improving her general education and, if you view it as that rather than merely an attempt at grammar school entry, it will be a more positive experience for both of you.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

I agree 100% with fm - For us Maths was a real ordeal until September this year, and DS suddenly got it :lol:

Use the Bond to ensure that you have covered the syllabus. If DD does not know how to do a question, work it out together, set 20 similar questions yourself, repeat until DD gets it, move on

You will find that your DD will progress massively at school. DS was always in the middle group at school, this summer we moved area and he is now in the top group at his new school with just 3 other kids - now he is being stretched much more than befor.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now